Setting the stage for Foothill’s drama department

The Foothill drama department has already set the stage for the 2015-16 school year with their production of “Dr.Evil and and the Basket of Kittens,” under their first year adviser Sarah Page.

Junior drama student, Rhiannon Tircuit, and senior drama student, Charlie Klucker, acting in an improvisation. Credit: Gabrialla Cockerell/ The Foothill Dragon Press

The Foothill drama department has already set the stage for the 2015-16 school year with their production of “Dr.Evil and and the Basket of Kittens,” under their first-year adviser Sarah Page.

The students who are in the drama department all have their own stories as to why they joined the club.

According to sophomore Eva Shumaker, the drama department is all-around incredible.

“I’ve only been in ‘Dr. Evil and the Basket of Kittens’ and it was amazing,” she stated, while also adding in that she loved the experience of being on stage.

When asked about how the first year of drama with Page is going as the adviser, she answered, “I’ve never had Mrs.Rodriguez, so I can’t compare. We had a little trouble with the play since she hasn’t done it before so she didn’t know what to expect, but next year is going to keep progressing.”

“I would definitely recommend the drama program to everyone,” she said.

Junior Rhiannon Tircuit admits the drama department didn’t interest her at first during her freshman year, but changed her mind sophomore year when she decided she wanted to take to the stage.

Tircuit has done three productions so far.

“What I’ve gotten from them is that you really have to trust yourself. If you don’t you’ll probably look like a fool,” she said.

Just like Shumaker, Tircuit recommends the program to students of any grade.

“It really teaches you how to work with other people, and to not really care about what others think. If students at FTHS tried it, they would like it,” she said.

Sophomore Aubrey Paul believes the program is beneficial to everyone, which is why she joined the club during her freshman year and has stuck with the program ever since.

“[Page] handled it really well. It was a big change from not having Mrs. Rodriguez, but she knows what she’s doing. She can only get better,” she said.

Senior Charlie Klucker, who is the drama class teacher’s assistant, recommends drama because it teaches skills such as how to speak in public, collaborate, and understand deadlines.

“I’ve been in three productions: ‘The Carol Burnett Show,’ ‘The Beatles Slept Here,’ and ‘Beauty is a Beast,’” Klucker said.

She believes the one unique thing about the program is the teamwork.

“We don’t have a lot of money or a big stage, but every show is a knockout because of the dedication that goes into it. They taught me that if you respect the art, something beautiful can happen even if you don’t have the resources,” she said.