Ashley Inocando pours her “heart and soul on that stage”

Senior Ashley Inocando found her passion for hip hop in her freshman physical education dance class here on campus. Inocando had always liked to dance, but the class allowed her to actually try it.

Senior Ashley Inocando found her passion for dance while in high school and is in Emanon dance crew. Credit: Fidelity Ballmer/The Foothill Dragon Press
Senior Ashley Inocando found her passion for dance during her freshman year and is in Emanon Dance Crew. Credit: Fidelity Ballmer/The Foothill Dragon Press

She was then moved to join local Billy Clower Dance Studio during her sophomore year, where she remained for only a year.

After sitting in the audience of a “World of Dance” competition in the Los Angeles area two years ago, Inocando discovered Oxnard-based Emanon Dance Crew.

The audition process takes three days; two to learn the choreography, and on the third it’s performed for the coaches and team captains.

Upon joining the team last summer, Inocando found learning choreography within a short period of time to be difficult.

“Everybody’s very encouraging,” she said, while emphasizing on the “very positive vibes” felt among her peers. 

“We’re all there because we love [dance] – because it’s fun. There’s no crazy, deep, complicated reason behind it,” said Inocando.

Senior Ashley Amaladhas used to take dance on campus with Inocando.

“I’ve seen her perform. She has a positive energy that shines through in her performances,” Amaladhas said. “She also puts her full effort into everything she does.”

Her team competes as a group, attending multiple competitions in front of large audiences and going head-to-head with teams from all over California.

“It was kind of nerve-wracking, but you kind of get used to it,” Inocando said.

Byron Bucao, Emanon dance instructor of 10 years, has watched Inocando’s talent develop ever since she joined the team, as well as her admirable work ethics.

“She’s always positive at rehearsal; it’s always good to have that around,” Bucao said.

While she loves to dance and spends hours a week at the studio, Inocando also keeps academically busy, as she is a part of the Bioscience Academy. Currently, she is considering a career in one of her two main interests.

As dance is currently just a hobby, it has had a great impact on her life. Not only has it tremendously boosted her self confidence, “it constantly reminds me to be more resilient, work hard, and push myself beyond my limits,” Inocando said.

The team’s collective dedication and commitment is what motivates Inocando’s confidence to rise above the personal level, and prove true for the whole crew.

“Everyone on the team sacrifices a lot of their time to practice out in the blazing hot sun, and at times in can be exhausting, but we all do it so that we can pour our heart and soul on that stage,” Inocando explained.