Threading vs. waxing: Which is better?

Getting your eyebrows done is an amazing feeling. You feel like a brand new person after you get off the chair. This growing trend has many ways of being done, with the two most efficient ways being waxing and threading. Either way works, but they both have their own pros and cons.

Waxing dates back all the way to the ancient Egyptians, with the queens having some very neat and clean eyebrows in their paintings. Waxing is self-explanatory: the practitioner lathers on hot wax to which ever part of your eyebrow you want gone. Waxing can cost anywhere from $15 to $35, on average.  

With benefits such as a short lasting pain, and picking up every hair in sight, many people love waxing with a passion. The downsides of waxing are that it may burn people with sensitive skin and irritate the skin with the chemicals inside the wax. Since wax is used to grab onto hairs, if wax is even slightly on the wrong area, you’ll have more hair taken off than you would like.

Threading originated in India over 6,000 years ago. It was originally only done when women had special occasions to attend. Threading is generally done by rotating a cotton string on the hairs to pull them out from the follicle in one quick motion.

The beneficial factor of threading is that it generally costs less than waxing by $10. It is also a great way to add an arch to your eyebrows while also cleaning them up. Threading is very precise and does everything waxing does, but without the use of harsh chemicals. The downside of threading is the fast pace of it can lead to people getting carried away with the hair removal. It also is painful to beginners, as the pain lasts the whole way through the session.

Upon asking people for which method of hair removal they prefer, the answers varied.

“I’ve never threaded before, it looks super painful and time-consuming, ” sophomore Ashlyn Lauchber said, who also added in that she prefers waxing.

Christena Khattar, a Mavericks Gym employee stated, ”If I do anything to them, I pluck them.”

Khattar said that money is the main reason why she doesn’t wax or thread.

“Plus, I like them the way they are. I like to embrace my culture and have bushy eyebrows.”

All in all, both of these methods get the job done. Your preference is based upon how much pain you can handle, and how much you’re willing to pay for it. No matter which one you choose, your eyebrows will end up looking neat and defined in no time.

Featured Photo Credit: Sarah Kagan/The Foothill Dragon Press