Reinvent your wardrobe this fall with denim looks

Brooklyne Shepherd

Back to school shopping has never been simpler than with denim, the ever-popular and vastly expanding print and material. Jean outfits and the denim trademark have taken the world by storm and can be seen available in the majority of retail and thrift stores, not only in California, but across the globe.

Boyfriend jeans are all the rave. Credit: Sarah Kagan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Simple style changes to boyfriend jeans can make each pair individual and unique. Credit: Sarah Kagan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Back to school shopping has never been simpler than with denim, the ever-popular and vastly expanding print and material. Jean outfits and the denim trademark have taken the world by storm and can be seen available in the majority of retail and thrift stores, not only in California, but across the globe.

However, jeans aren’t the same as they were centuries ago and have been revolutionized tremendously in order to appeal to and fit the popular demand of today’s consumer markets.

Denim dresses can be accessorized with scarves and jewelry with fall hues. Credit: Sarah Kagan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Patented in 1873 by Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis, and initially originating in Europe, jeans have been transformed from the work attire of the 18th and early 19th centuries to the present day, where ripped boyfriend jeans and denim dresses are all the rave.

Just look around you, and jeans are everywhere. Nowadays, however, it is difficult to make them look original and put your own unique spin on them, since they happen to be so well-known and so well-owned.

Day in and day out, people are faced with the constant struggle to reinvent this basic stitched up piece of fabric into something more modern and fitting for today’s culture, as well as stay updated on jean trends.

What most people forget to realize is that jeans don’t have to be restricted to typical “jeans,” meaning that they don’t have to stay on the lower part of the body.

Anyone and everyone can rock jean clothing that is purchased or hand-stitched by investing in stylish designed boyfriend jeans and simple, yet chic denim dresses.

Revamp your closet this year with a jean-inspired wardrobe following these simple suggestions.

Denim Dresses:

With fall nearing, it is time to stop picking out your dainty summer dresses and make the transition to more fall looks. Although it’s difficult to tell the difference between seasons in California since the weather has a mind of its own, don’t be beaten down by all the fall fashion rules you feel you must abide by.

Since the temperature is typically in the mid-70s when fall rolls around, you don’t necessarily have to say goodbye to dresses altogether, for there is an alternative to summery, floral fabrics.

Denim dresses are a classic, and they definitely scream “fall.” They look great with scarves and jewelry that incorporate fall hues into them. According to Vogue, “the denim dress is the only sensibly chic thing to wear when switching from summer to fall dressing.”

You can create your own boyfriend jeans by buying and cutting jeans from thrift stores. Credit: Sarah Kagan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Denim dresses are the new alternative to skirts. Coming in various lengths and tones of denim, these dresses work well to welcome the season, and allow you to spice them up or dress them down by adding your own signature touch.  

Boyfriend Jeans:

Boyfriend jeans have definitely become popular this year, and can be spotted on women everywhere you turn. However, the different shades of blue, whether or not they have holes, how loose they fit and whether or not they are cuffed at the bottom make each individual pair unique.

These jeans are meant to make you look laid back and are typically straight down the leg. Becoming the staple of “effortless style,” these jeans can be quite costly, however you can easily grab a pair of jeans at a thrift store for under $15 and create your own.

This is a definite advantage because by making your own you can choose how much skin you want to show through the holes you cut and you can ultimately get a more “vintage look” due to the fact that most thrift stores denim looks more old-fashioned.

Don’t fall behind this season and stay on top of your fashion by incorporating touches of denim and jean into your wardrobe that will add an individualized flare to all of your outfits.