Opinion: The benefits of thrifting

Audrey Szijj
This picture is a collage of my favorite items I have thrifted over the past year from various thrift stores like Goodwill, Buffalo Exchange, the Coalition Thrift Store and others. Thrifting may take a lot of patience due to the need to sift through the racks of clothes, but the end results are worth it.

When you walk into a thrift store, you never know what treasure you’ll find, which can not only be thrilling, but can also provide a very unique wardrobe. Thrifting is not only a great way to find good clothes for affordable prices, but it’s also very environmentally friendly, as it recycles clothes for people to buy and reuse, rather than sending them to landfills where it can take many years for them to fully decompose. 

With the increase in online shopping, and mass producing brands that use sweatshops to continue spitting out fast fashion for consumers, the outcome is swiftly feeding into the destruction of Earth. According to Cincinnati Goodwill, “It is estimated that more than 400 gallons of water are used to produce the cotton for just one T-shirt.” The world is already in a drought, and wasting 400 gallons of water on just one shirt seems unnecessary as it could be used for more important and practical purposes.

The climate crisis also comes into play with this, as fast fashion’s quick expansion has severely impacted the environment, increasing CO2 emissions, water use and chemical pollution. According to RoadRunner Recycling, there is an average of 80 pounds of textile waste every single year. Furthermore, an article by BBC states that the fashion industry accounts for around 10 percent of greenhouse gas emissions. Thrifting is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint, which is essential to slowing down global warming, as thrift store shopping lowers carbon emissions by delaying the demand for fast fashion. 

Shopping at thrift stores can also make an impact in your community, as some donate to organizations that assist the homeless population. With the homelessness crisis increasing, The 2022 Annual Homelessness Assessment Report (AHAR) to Congress counted that approximately 582,000 Americans across the country are experiencing homelessness in 2022, partially due to the high cost of living. However, shopping at places like Goodwill, can be very beneficial to this issue as these stores are affordable, accessible and sustainable. Plus, they also offer more job opportunities to the public. 

Thrifting is also helpful to those who want to curate their own style for less money without falling into the hands of fast fashion, as most items don’t go over $10. Additionally, a lot of unique stylistic wardrobe opportunities can arise while thrifting. Most brands have a specific look that they go for when selling clothes, but at thrift stores, anyone can donate. You could find trendy clothes, vintage clothes, costumes, baby clothes and more. All of these items are affordable, making it more accessible to the community, while also providing a plethora of different style options.

If you’re looking for an activity that’s fun, locally sourced and affordable, then thrifting is a great hobby to take up. Plus, thrifting also supports the environment and local communities. However, make sure to be patient while shopping! Thrifting doesn’t come easy to everyone, especially if you are easily overwhelmed by all the clothing racks. But don’t lose hope, once you get a feel for it, you never know what you’ll find. 

Tips for a great thrifting experience!