Pocket Tee: Fashion forward or fleeting trend?

Credit: Josh Ren/The Foothill Dragon Press

With the recent upsurge of casual fashion being shown on the runways, pocket tees have entered into this year’s fashion scene. However, these “detailed” shirts aren’t anything new to retailers. Despite their recent appearances on the runway, these t-shirts have been reinvented with playful patterns that add interest to an ordinarily simple pocket tee.

Print out the free pattern for the pocket online and transfer it to a piece of cardboard. Credit: Josh Ren/The Foothill Dragon Press

Compared to pocket-less tees, ones with pockets sewn onto the front are being worn more frequently. These shirts are comfortable pieces that can easily be personalized by adding different prints and patterns. Also, there are tons of pocket patterns available online for amateur designers to use.

In order to create a unique pocket tee of your own all you need is a square of patterned fabric and a plain white t-shirt.

You will need:

• T-shirt

• Piece of fabric (about 6”x 6”)

• Iron

• Scissors

• Pen or pencil

• Fabric glue

• Piece of paper, post-it (optional)

• Free pattern, cardboard to transfer pattern onto

***Before you start, decide where you want to place your pocket. An easy way to do this is by trying on your shirt in front of a mirror and placing the post-it where you want the pocket to go. Make sure to iron your tee-shirt and your piece of fabric to prevent any unwanted wrinkles.

The end product should add a pop of color to any outfit, while showing off your one-of-a-kind t-shirt. Credit: Josh Ren/The Foothill Dragon Press

Steps to create the perfect pocket tee:

1. Print the free pattern onto a piece of standard printing paper, then transfer onto cardboard. Cut along the external lines.

2. Place the pattern on your fabric, trace and cut.

3. Cut the pattern along the internal lines, then place it onto the piece of fabric.

4. Carefully pull up each fabric edge around the pattern guide and iron it flat. Remove the guide.

5. Apply fabric glue along the edges, trying to distribute it evenly. Apply pressure and repeat until all edges are hemmed. Then place book over the pocket and let it dry for about half an hour.

6. After your pocket has dried fully, place a piece of paper/cardboard inside your shirt so that no glue bleeds through and apply fabric glue along the edges. Place your pocket onto your tee, press firmly and wait to wear until completely dry.

Micro-pockets are an easy way to add a personalized touch to your t-shirt wardrobe. This could easily become one of you favorite shirts depending on the pattern or design that you choose. Feel free to mix and match different colored hues and patterns to create the ultimate designer pocket to add flair to one of your otherwise plain tees.

Background Photo Credit: Josh Ren/The Foothill Dragon Press