Benchwarmers: Episode 3 (featuring boys’ basketball)

Claire Hadley
Watch the third episode of Benchwarmers to see Luigirey Guce ’25 and Aidan Gomez ’25 coach Dane Dodos ’26 and Chance Leandro ’25 on the skills needed to excel at basketball.
Amateur basketball player Dane Dodos ’26 reaches for the basket in an attempt in score a basket. During the duration of the episode, Dodos was taught how to shoot, do a layup and take on opponents in a scrimmage. (Claire Hadley)

On episode three of “Benchwarmers,” fans can witness as hosts Luigirey Guce ‘25 and Aidan Gomez ‘25 become the basketball coaches of two cross country runners, Dane Dodos ‘26 and Chance Leandro ‘25. Although basketball can be a complicated sport, the hosts explain the general basics of basketball through layups, shooting and defense.

Leandro and Dodos began their training session with layups coached by Gomez. With air balls and shots going way out of frame, the beginners quickly learned that the skill behind shooting a layup is more difficult than expected. Basketball requires a large amount of coordination, especially during the approach and finish of a layup. 

Following the questionable attempts at layups, it was Guce’s turn to coach. His thorough explanation and patience with the new players helped guide them to success when shooting free throws. Enjoying the role as a coach, the hosts surprised the players with Trivia, forcing them to run the court in consequence of their lack of knowledge.

In this episode of “Benchwarmers,” the two coaches and two players concluded the afternoon with a fun yet competitive session of two versus two. Watch the new episode to see the fun and difficulty that comes along with the sport of basketball.