Benchwarmers: Episode 1 (featuring girls’ golf)

Claire Hadley
On the first episode of “Benchwarmers,” Luigirey Guce ’25 and Aidan Gomez ’25 take on golf so you don’t have to. Watch the video to see the challenges and thrills that go along with the sport.

Have you ever thought about grabbing a golf club and taking a swing on the course? Have you ever felt the frustration of having no aim after hours of training? Golf is no sport for the impatient and especially not for beginners, which is precisely why on Oct. 16, 2023, two journalism athletes, specifically basketball players, Aidan Gomez ‘25 and Luigirey Guce ‘25, set out with the help of the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ golf team to conquer the difficulties of golf at the Olivas Links Golf Course. 

I like that [golf] is outdoors. It’s kind of like going on a walk but you get to hit things which is always fun.

— Zoe Bellanca

From chipping to driving, there are many different aspects of golf, all of which take diligence and years of practice to master. Unlike the talented girls’ golf team, Gomez and Guce had no previous experience with golf. Starting with the basics, the two beginners settled to try and learn how to swing a club, which proved more problematic than it appeared. Gomez and Guce shanked the ball left and right, oftentimes completely missing the ball.

After learning the basic golf swings on the range, they were assisted with putting by Foothill Tech girls’ golf seniors Piper Singleton ‘24 and Zoe Bellanca ‘24. This included attempting a five meter putt and a 15 meter putt, short accurate hit close to the hole. 

When asked about the challenges of the sport, Singleton responded that she, “would consider golf a pretty difficult sport, especially when you start out, it’s difficult to figure out your swing and it can be frustrating at first.”

Guce and Gomez experienced this difficulty first hand as they attempted the precision it takes to hit the ball into the hole. After trying out golf, it became apparent that the sport isn’t as easy as spectators made it out to be.

Watch this hilarious video to see Guce and Gomez take on golf with the help of the Foothill Tech girls’ golf team.

Saanvi Joshi