Wrap-Up: Boys’ volleyball falls to Cate 2-3

On Tuesday night, the Foothill Boys’ varsity volleyball team fell to Cate High School at Cate. The Dragons lost 2-3 with individual set scores of 28-26, 14-25, 25-18, 15-25, and 10-15.

Sophomore Kyle Cobian had 39 assists and 6 aces, sophomore Jerod Frederick had 13 kills, sophomore Chad Talaugon had 12 kills and 8 digs, and sophomore Collin Weaver had 7 kills during the game.

Junior Ian Overton felt that the team “[outplayed] Cate” when they were “playing well” and were able to gain some points to win the first and third set.

“The team displayed moments of really good play, whether it be crazy scrambling plays or controlled play,” he said.

However, Overton believes that the team has struggled with consistency throughout Tuesday night’s game and the season.

“[Our] biggest weakness that has persisted throughout the season was extremely blatant, our inability to play at a consistent level” Overton said. “We would have brief, sometimes not so brief, periods of time where we would give up several points without retaliation.”  

Overton also thinks that another “big weakness” was their unforced errors. The team had 31 missed hits and 16 missed serves which “just about equates to giving the opposing team two free games.”

Coach Janine Cobian feels that the team “definitely” needs to work on staying consistent and keeping the ball inside the court.

Overton believes that if the team “can clean up these consistency issues and play at a solid level for the rest of season [they] should beat just about everybody and put [themselves] in a prime spot for CIF.”