Humans of Foothill: Emma Flores

Rihanna Samples
Inspired by the Humans of New York project, the Foothill Dragon Press staff aspires to highlight students around campus pursing their passions and interests.

“Raising animals is a lot of work, but I am definitely glad I’m doing it. My dad, the agriculture teacher at Santa Paula High School (SPHS) and an FFA advisor, is the one who introduced me to raising animals. I am very grateful for his involvement and he has given me so many opportunities to learn more about agriculture as both a hobby and a career.”

Emma Flores ’25 stands with her sheep at Loma Vista Elementary School prior to the Ventura County Fair as she practices showmanship for her upcoming livestock project. (Alex Flores)

Emma Flores ‘25 is a dedicated student at Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) who juggles multiple extracurricular activities, including being a member of the girl’s water polo team, swim & dive team and the Bioscience Academy. In addition to her participation in these school organizations, Flores has also been raising animals for the fair since she was nine years old. From lambs to steers, Flores has spent countless hours raising these animals, whether they be raised at the SPHS farm or her very own backyard.

“The main reason I started raising lambs was because of my dad. He is the agriculture teacher at SPHS as well as the advisor for their FFA program. It is because of him that I was able to start raising lambs even when I wasn’t enrolled in any agricultural organizations. He has been a big inspiration for me, as well as my brother who has raised animals as well. I strive to be as competent and knowledgeable as my dad when working with animals.”

Flores has taken advantage of many opportunities to improve her knowledge and skills, including the 26 Hours of Science and Technology Event at Cal Poly SLO, Cal Poly and Purdue tours, FFA conferences, agriculture workshops and raising animals for the fair.

Flores spends much of her time after school at the pool, spending hours a day immersed in her sports. 

“I am very glad I started doing water polo, as I have gained a new community and it’s become a staple in my life. I attended my first water polo practices during winter break during freshman year, and although I was joining the season late, the team was very warm and welcoming. A lot of my family also did water polo, so that was another reason to start doing it. I have recently joined Gold Coast Water Polo Club and it has been very helpful in improving my skills.” 

Emma Flores ’25 is extremely active in her Discover Science Bioscience committee. She spends her time working with children teaching them about science projects and creating free science kits to give away at the library. (Olivia Mowad)

“The actual reason I came to Foothill in the first place is the Bioscience Academy. I was interested in science from a young age, so the Bioscience Academy felt like the opportunity of a lifetime. I was ecstatic when I was accepted into the program. I am very glad I joined the Academy and I have had an amazing time so far. Both Mrs. Anderson and Mr. Baker have provided me with an abundance of experience and information. I will forever be grateful to them. The Bioscience Academy has taught me numerous skills and techniques as well as broadened my career choices. It has pushed me to be a better student and I will most likely be very thankful for it when adjusting to college life.” 

Despite being busy juggling school and extracurriculars, Flores is very appreciative of her many extracurriculars and works hard to manage her time. While taking difficult classes that require significant effort and not getting home until late at night due to sports and raising her steer in Santa Paula, Flores has dedicated much of her time to staying  on top of her activities and utilizes her free period to finish lots of her work.

“Because of both my agriculture experience and medical experience from the Bioscience Academy, I am interested in becoming a large animal veterinarian. Even though things can get a bit busy, I am very thankful to have the opportunity to participate in all my extracurriculars and the academy. I believe all these activities will pay off and help me be successful in future careers/schooling.”