The Foothill Tech Garden Club continues to grow in more ways than one

Aidan Gomez
Students from the garden club work tirelessly to keep their plants alive. Between watering during lunchtime to planting new seeds, the club is a wonderful way to experience the Foothill Technology environment.
Foothill Technology High School displays a devotion to bettering the environment, as well as the well-being of students, and the community that surrounds them. The Foothill Tech Garden Club was founded by former teacher Kurt Miller, and is continued by Foothill Tech students, who strive to make it better. (Audrey Szijj)

From Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) club to Junior State of America (JSA) club, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) has many clubs of interest for students to join. If you’re looking to improve the environment, get community service hours and have a nice place to relax and meet new people, then Garden Club is the one for you.

In the garden club, tender care is bestowed upon each plant and member as the afternoon sun reflects the beauty of the plants. (Aidan Gomez)

The Foothill Tech Garden Club was started by former teacher Kurt Miller and his ninth grade health class of 2022. After Miller left the school, the current sophomores who started the Garden Club with him decided to keep working on the garden and continue Miller’s legacy. 

The Foothill Tech Garden Club meets on Thursdays at lunch, and you will usually find the club members weeding the garden, watering the plants, repotting plants or harvesting the produce to make healthy dishes or veggie bags for the teachers. Ventura has a mediterranean and coastal environment, so Garden Club secretary Finley Colavito ’26 states that “We [the Garden Club] choose certain crops that aren’t harmful and invasive to the local ecosystem.”

In terms of the environment, the club also takes pride in growing their own produce, as opposed to buying mass-produced goods. Club president Shea Stevenson ‘26 also states, “I think it’s just really great for the school, to have some more greenery in it.” The club also plans to do composting with their produce, as well as with food from the school cafeteria.

At the garden club, they cultivate more than just plants; they create a haven where love and foliage mingle rekindle our appreciation of the beauty of nature. (Aidan Gomez)

Along with having environmental benefits, the garden is also  a zen place where students can relax around nature and unwind from the busy school day. Miller hoped to create a calm environment for students, but that was when the garden was limited to students in his health class. Now the garden is open to all grades, and all students of Foothill Tech. Club vice president, Naomi Schwartz ‘26 believes, “It gives students a chance to make connections with new people and experience new things that they hadn’t before.” The club allows students to put work into something that they care about that will not only benefit them, but also the Foothill Tech community around them.

The club centers around its members and their contributions to the garden. The hard work they put into weeding, planting and watering is how they maintain the garden. This pays off when it’s time for harvesting. The produce they harvest can be used to make healthy meals for students, teachers and club members.

We take pride in cleaning up the environment around us.

— Finley Colavito '26 Garden Club secretary

Additionally, they can sell their produce in veggie bags for the teachers to raise money for supplies in the garden. Stevenson states that the club hopes that “by the end of the year we will have done a couple fundraisers” Events such as movie nights, bake sales and other activities will be held on behalf of the Garden Club to raise money. So if you are looking to get good community service hours, be around nature, help the Foothill Tech community and meet new people, consider joining or donating to the Foothill Tech Garden Club.