Recap: Girls’ golf bested by Camarillo

Aidan Gomez
After a few practice swings, Kylie Ho ’26 lines up her shot as she swings and smashes the ball toward the pin landing on the green.

On the afternoon of Oct. 3, 2023, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ golf faced off against Camarillo High School (Camarillo) on Foothill’s home turf of Olivas Links. By the end of the match, Foothill Tech was bested by Camarillo in a tough loss of 266-229.

Despite the team’s loss, there were many standout performances of the five athletes that competed. Piper Singleton ‘24 put forth a respectable effort as she shot two over par to contribute a score of 38 for the Dragons.

At the Olivas Links Gold Course on Oct. 3, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ golf team faced off in a non league matchup against Camarillo High School. The Dragons played well but fell short, losing the match with an overall score of 229-266. Pictured above, Piper Singleton ’24 focuses as she lines up her putt, aiming to make it in the hole. (Aidan Gomez)

When asked about how she played in the match, she replied with, “I’m pretty happy with my performance. I had a couple difficult holes, but a few great holes as well.”

Audrey Yoong ‘26 also performed well with a score of 42 which put her at six over par.

Behind Singleton and Yoong, Bella Baum ‘26 shot within her range to produce a score of 57, Phoebe Hopps ‘26 shot a 59 and Kylie Ho ‘26 finished the match with a score of 70. These added up to a total of 266 which would not suffice against Camarillo who hit a lower score of 229.

Baum reflected on the team’s performance, stating, “We all did good in our own ways but … we all have room for improvement.”

When asked about the consequences of the loss, Singleton explained that, “Because it wasn’t a league meet, it will not affect our standing in the league.” She further commented that, “it was a good opportunity to play against an experienced team.”

Baum agreed with Singleton as she reflected that, “It was more of a practice match … I believe it is always good to get out on the course to practice.”

Their next match will be against St. Bonaventure on Oct. 12, 2023, at Olivas Links where Foothill Tech seeks to get back on their winning streak.