The Foothill Dragon Press predicts the Oscar winners

Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press
The Foothill Dragon Press staff predicts the outcomes for this year’s Oscars. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

The staff of the Foothill Dragon Press casts their votes on this year’s Oscar nominees.

Best Actor- Leonardo DiCaprio, “The Wolf of Wall Street”
“The Wolf of Wall Street” is the movie everyone wants to see to witness a glimpse into the life of a late-’80s stockbroker, and hear upwards of 500 f-bombs. Leonardo DiCaprio stars as Jordan Belfort, a stockbroker who becomes actively involved in a multi-million dollar scandal. The 39-year-old’s portrayal of a young and greedy entrepreneur is oddly entertaining and refreshing. The comedic side of DiCaprio’s performance, while particularly awkward at times, is done precisely, and his fraudulent character is very well-developed.

Best Supporting Actor- Jonah Hill, “The Wolf of Wall Street”
Jonah Hills fully captures Donnie Azoff, his sexually enticed character who’s given a huge money-making opportunity, which transforms his life and personality. As Belfort’s right-hand-man in manipulating penny stocks, the supporting actor presents his rather pugnacious character as rough and tough, only to realize his own rather impatient and sensitive side. Hill never fails to push his rather explicit scenes over his limits, making especially the wild most moments painfully memorable.

Best Supporting Actress- Jennifer Lawrence, “American Hustle”
It is no secret to anyone that Jennifer Lawrence has been making tidal waves in the world of acting. With roles like Katniss Everdeen, Tiffany from Silver Linings Playbook, and now Rosalyn in “American Hustle,” Jennifer Lawrence has showed the world that she cannot be typecasted and has no limit to her range of acting abilities. In “American Hustle” she shines as the best actor in the picture, in a role hilariously written and beautifully portrayed.

Best Animated Feature Film- “Frozen”
“Frozen” has been making history as the most popular Disney movie since The Lion King. It’s no surprise that this year it wins for the best animated feature film. As a tale between sisters and not about love, “Frozen” captured the hearts of children and teenagers alike with this fresh, new approach to Disney films. The songwriting stands out above all else in this film, and does not cease to make all ages tear up throughout the film.

Best Visual Effects- “The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug”
“The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug,” brought mystical elves, hobbits and even the occasional dragon from the middle earth of Tolkien’s imagination to big screen with such spectacle and awe. These creatures and the like have become the norm in an ordinary blockbuster fantasy movie, but needless to say, the crisp colors and smooth animations of “The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug” bring a fresh visual appeal to the age old representations, and pushes the envelope of visual effects. Where the picture truly shines though is in its rendition of Smaug, the gold-hungry dragon. The twitching scale, gleaming eye, leathery wing, all brought to life almost too real to be believed. “The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug” represents the future of CGI animations, and is truly cutting edge with it’s spectacular characters and set pieces.

Best Actress- Amy Adams, “American Hustle”
Amy Adams deserves the award for best actress for her work in “American Hustle” because she perfectly executed the role of her complicated character. She wasn’t just Christian Bale’s sleazy side-lover, or a tool for him to more easily trick those who fall into his con artist trap. She had her own personal back story and sub plot, and rocked not only the role but also all of her character’s amazing ‘70’s gowns, get-ups, and up-dos.

Best Picture- “American Hustle”
“American Hustle” deserves the award for best picture because it was serious and funny, exciting and entertaining, and an interesting, up-close-and-personal look at a fictionalized version a ‘70s government sting. The storyline blurs the lines between who’s good and bad, if not completely erasing them. Character’s double lives are exposed, and friends and foes from both worlds clash. The facade of ‘70s opulence is reflected perfectly in the sets, costumes, and soundtrack.

Best Costumes- “The Great Gatsby”
“The Great Gatsby” deserves the award for best costume design because the film’s costumes were perfectly on point with the time period and elegance, but they still looked real. Period-piece movie costuming can often look fake and like, well, a costume. The costumes for “The Great Gatsby” don’t look like a halloween-store flapper costume, they just look like the formal, opulent everyday wear the elite can afford to indulge in, which is what they’re supposed to be. “The Great Gatsby’s” costume design was beautiful and affective without falling back on stereotypes of the era.