“Delivery Man” tells crazy story expertly woven with humor

“Delivery Man” manages to be lighthearted and serious with the help of the actors in the movie. Credit: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
"Delivery Man" manages to be lighthearted and serious with the help of the actors in the movie. Credit: Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

Imagine finding out you are the father of over 500 children. This is the news that meat delivery man David Wozniak is confronted with by a lawyer from a sperm bank he donated to 20 years earlier. “Delivery Man” is the story of David’s struggle with whether or not to reveal himself to his children and existing family.

This storyline sounds like it would be that of either a serious movie, or one filled with immature jokes. While the humor isn’t always very tasteful, the serious plot of the film is lightened with the actor’s perfect portrayal of their funny characters.

Usually movies that try to be both funny and serious end up being too little of both, but “Delivery Man” manages to blend the two seamlessly because it has a serious storyline with genuinely funny characters.

The characters themselves don’t get all the credit, the actors who played them perfectly were the cast. Vince Vaughn managed to make slacker David charming and sympathetic, and Chris Pratt was hilarious as David’s best friend and lawyer.

Even though “Delivery Man” was a comedy, it still managed to be heartwarming. When some of David’s children sue him to find out his identity, he finds out who some of them are and acts as a “guardian angel” to them without revealing his identity, sometimes saving their lives and sometimes just brightening their days.

David’s growth as a person also made this a feel-good movie. Initially good-intentioned but a little selfish, David matures a lot by giving up his life as a low-level criminal and taking responsibility for his girlfriend’s baby, as well as mending his relationships with his family.

While the plot is serious, “Delivery Man” manages to be a heart-warming comedy about what family really is. Splitting itself fairly evenly about its three genres, “Delivery Man” would seem to lack consistency, but it somehow blends the genres together into a great movie for any audience, regardless of their tastes.

Need a movie to see this weekend? Vince Vaughn gave us plenty of reasons to check out #DeliveryMan! http://t.co/uyGe1PPpxW

— HOLLYWIRE (@HOLLYWIRE) November 25, 2013