Foothill twins, triplets enjoy having siblings at school

Juniors Carson and Emily Graves see the perks of being twins. Credit: Natalie Smith/The Foothill Dragon Press

People say that they can read each other’s minds and feel each other’s pain. Though they can’t say they have twin telepathy, twins and triplets at Foothill say there are still plenty of perks. And just because they were born on the same day, it doesn’t mean they have completely the same tastes.

“You can split the homework load. That’s the best by far,” said Carson Graves.

“He’ll do math and I’ll do history. Then we’ll talk about it,” said Emily Graves, Carson’s twin.

In Foothill’s rigorous academic atmosphere, the twins and triplets all agree that they’re lucky to have a sibling in their grade. The Dosch sisters, Paris, Summer and Elise, also said that they’re glad to have each other to go to for help with homework.

“I don’t have to call somebody I don’t know [if the homework confuses me] , I can just go to [my sisters],” said Summer Dosch.

“It makes studying easier,” Paris Dosch added.

Having a twin or triplet also helps when completing Foothill’s required 75 hours of community service. Ryan Harris said that having his twin, Wesley Harris, can make boring community service tasks more interesting.

“We do all of our community service together, which can be very, very boring, but at least we have each other,” he said.

There are many other advantages they have outside of school.

The Dosch sisters enjoy the fact that they can share clothes.

“We share all of our clothes; it’s really cool because I can wear all their stuff. Like, if [one of them] gets a new cute shirt I know I’ll be able to wear it sometime,” Paris Dosch said.

“It’s a big pro,” said Summer Dosch. “I mean, we’ll get into fights sometimes because we don’t ask to wear each others’ clothes, but most of the time when we buy things, we share.”

The Graves siblings took advantage of being twins to get to know more people and make friends at Foothill.

“Freshman year we hung out with different people, so he’d have his friends over and I’d have my friends over and it helped us get to know more people,” said Emily Graves.

This year as juniors they hang out with the same people.

“We have similar friends [now]. We eat at the same table [during lunch],” said Carson Graves.

Although many of the twins and triplets think there are many perks to having a sibling the same age as them, they acknowledge that there are also negative aspects. For example, they all admit that others tend to see them as a whole and not as an individual.

“When we were younger, [we had a friend] who if, say, I was riding his skateboard and broke it would say something like, ‘You guys are both in trouble because you’re one of the same,” Wesley Harris said.

“It’s annoying being compared to each other because we’re our own person,” said Elise Dosch.

“I don’t like how people associate [us with each other’s interests] ,” said Emily Graves. “Since [Carson] is in ASB they say I should be in ASB, and since I’m in art they say that he should be in art.”

Also, the twins and triplets said that they are endlessly asked silly questions.

When they were younger, the Harris twins were asked so frequently if they could read each others’ minds they decided to pretend that they actually could.

“When we were little we made up a script and when people asked if we could read minds we had our little code, and it looked like we read minds,” Wesley Harris said.

“I wish I could read Wesley’s mind. Like during a test, that would be nice,” Ryan Harris said.

The Dosch triplets are often questioned why their names do not match.

“I’m kind of tired of jokes being called ‘Winter,’ said Summer Dosch. “Like being asked, ‘Oh yeah, why aren’t you called Spring?’ And some people say, ‘Why isn’t your guys’ names all Spring, Summer, Winter, or Fall?’ So annoying.”

The Graves twins are fraternal twins but both said that they are asked if they are identical quite often.

“We’ve been asked a lot if we’re identical,” Carson Graves said, “we’re fraternal, boy and girl.”

And the silly questions don’t stop there.

“Once a person asked if we had the same birthday,” said Emily Graves. “I was like, ‘We’re twins.’ And they were like, ‘So?’”

Strange questions aside, they all agree that they’re glad to be a twin or triplet.

“Overall, it’s cool,” said Wesley Harris. “Because everyone always says, ‘Oh, I wish I had a twin,’ because yeah, you do wish you had a twin. It’s like another you, I mean you do have different personalities but you usually get along and are like best friends. You always have someone to hangout with.”