Student of the Week: Hailey Winfield

Junior Hailey Winfield shows her sense of humor. Photo Illustration by Bethany Fankhauser/The Foothill Dragon Press.

Hailey Winfield’s day starts a little earlier than an average high schooler: by 5:30 a.m., she is already at Bible study.

“I love going to Bible study because it’s a good way to start my day,” Winfield said. 

And after school, Winfield takes the bus to Ventura High  for tennis practice, where she has played on the Cougars’ tennis team since this summer.

“Hailey is a really fun person to have on the team,” junior Morgen Peterson, another member of the tennis team said. “She adds so much personality to our team and we always have fun together.”

Hailey Winfield’s favorite part about attending Foothill is “probably the sense of community, because it’s so small and the teachers are so nice and it’s easy to know everyone.”

Winfield says that her English teacher, Jennifer Kindred, is her favorite teacher, and commented that “she’s awesome and she’s super funny and if I could be in her English class every year for the rest of my life, I would.”

“[Hailey] is one of those students that everybody wants to have in class because she always raises her hand, she always has articulate things to say, and she’s always engaged in whatever is going on in the classroom,” Kindred said.

Winfield’s favorite class this year is Spanish because she enjoys learning about the language.

“She’s very energetic,” Winfield’s Spanish II teacher Adrian Sanchez said. “She brings a lot of positive energy to the class, and she’s very friendly. She’s ready to go and ready to learn when she comes into class.”

She is also a regular volunteer at the Blanchard Library in Santa Paula, where she earns community service hours.

“My mom and I go there a lot and I read to the kids that come in,” Winfield said. “They have reading programs where you get points, and we work the prize table. Sometimes I dress up in mascot costumes and read to the kids in them.”

With interests that include unicorns, sparkles, tie-dye and a “love for babies, tiny things and midgets,” Hailey “Hard-Core” Winfield as she is known on Facebook continues to be a colorful personality at Foothill.