15 free online resources for homework

Why waste money on a tutor when there are plenty of resources online? Still, navigating through thousands of videos on Youtube to find what you’re looking for can be difficult. Here is a list of great resources you can use for homework help and testing tips.

Credit: Joel Mayorga/The Foothill Dragon Press

Science

The Physics Classroom– This site is perfect if you want conceptual explanations or interactives. The explanations are a bit lengthy, so it’s helpful if you want a thorough review or want to take notes ahead of time.

Physics Forums– A perfect alternative to Yahoo! Answers, Physics Forums helps you figure out problems by yourself with clues and suggestions. Instead of having users post direct solutions to problems, the site has a policy where users are offered clues and suggestions to piece together information and suggest their own solution.

Brightstorm for biology and chemistry– Even though the videos on the Brightstorm site is not free, you can still have access to their lessons through their videos on Youtube. Concepts and examples are well explained, and videos are usually between five to 10 minutes.

Biologycorner.com/anatomy– You can use this site for biology, physiology, and anatomy. This site is well organized with divided units. Each unit has lecture notes, interactives, quizzes, and more. 

Math

Tarrou’s chalk talk– Otherwise known by his Youtube channel name, ProfRobBob, Mr. Tarrou offers lessons in algebra I and II, trigonometry, precalculus, and calculus. His videos are on average 30 minutes long and are perfect if you are looking for thorough explanations and examples. Despite the length of his videos, Tarrou’s energetic voice makes it easy to concentrate, and his genuine excitement towards the subject makes you hate math a little less.

PatrickJMT– Like Tarrou, Patrick offers videos for algebra I and II, precalculus, and calculus. However, his videos are shorter and more concise, usually lasting under seven minutes. He offers basic definitions of formulas and proceeds with several simple examples. Patrick’s voice can be a bit monotone, but his videos are perfect if you want a quick review. Although Patrick makes small math errors in some videos,his explanations are nevertheless clear.

Mathbyfives– Hands down the most hilarious math channel, mathbyfives specializes in trigonometry, precalculus and calculus. His videos are normally under 10 minutes and are fast paced. He also has a video series called “House of Cardioids” that focuses on sketching polar curves.

internetresourcesmathemmaart

mathbff– Who says girls can’t do math? Math youtuber, Nancy, makes videos for key math concepts, such as memorizing the unit circle or finding the limit. She specializes in algebra and precalculus. Nancy speaks slowly and is very thorough in her explanations and examples, and her videos can last anywhere from four to 30 minutes.

IntegralCALC– Another female math Youtuber, Krista King, offers videos for all types of math, but specializes most in calculus. The lengths of her videos can range from anywhere to two to 12 minutes. King is the founder of IntegralCalc academy, a paid online source for calculus help. Even though King majored in another subject in college, she has been a calculus tutor for many years. Her expertise shows, and the number of her subscribers is rapidly increasing.

Khan academy – You’ve probably heard of Salman Khan, a Harvard graduate who makes videos for subjects ranging from art history to physics. His website, Khan Academy has a solid base for all types of high school math, specializing especially in deriving formulas and proofs. The lengths of his videos vary.

Wolfram Alpha– This site allows you to search the answer to any math question. It can derive functions and show its steps. Especially helpful for calculus, if you type in a function it can give you its basic graph, domain and range, derivative, and integral, to name a few.

Screen shot 2015-05-26 at 2.20.19 PM

Humanities

Crash Course US History, by John Green– Even though these videos are long (over ten minutes) they are fast paced and engaging with nice visuals. Sometimes the lessons can go on brief tangents, and John Green often tries to be funny. Nevertheless, the video series can be as straightforward as entertaining.

AP Gov Cram for the Exam– With “No fancy words, no fancy suits,” these two teachers offer five to six minute videos explaining different institutions of the government. Although their videos can be a bit boring as they lacks visuals, they are still very clear and helpful.

The YUniversity – This site is gold for k-pop or anime enthusiasts. Using manga and k-pop GIFS, the YUniversity helps its audience learn grammar and vocabulary in a fun and engaging way. The YUniversity also hires high school students as interns, with jobs such as managing their site or producing content for social media.

SAT prep, testingiseasy.com – This site is designed by Mike Barrett, writer of the SAT Black Book. You can find general SAT/ACT test taking tips here.

Featured Art Credit: Joel Mayorga/The Foothill Dragon Press