Boys’ volleyball lets lead slip in 3-2 loss against Bishop Diego

Claire Hadley
In a close game against Bishop Diego High School (Bishop Diego) on Feb. 27, 2024, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) suffered an unfortunate loss. Fans were on the edges of their seat as Foothill Tech fiercely battled every second of the game.
Jayden Wallace ’25 sets the ball to his teammate in order to help secure a point for the Dragons. (Claire Hadley)

Tuesday, Feb. 27 signified the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) boys’ volleyball team’s first home game of the 2024 spring season. At 6 p.m. they headed onto the court to begin their match against Bishop Diego High School (Bishop Diego) in the Cabrillo Middle School Gym. The team stayed strong throughout the first two sets, however, a loss of momentum caused the lead to slip. The team suffered a tough 2-3 comeback loss.

Foothill Tech started the first set off strong with two quick points from a seamless set and a serve from Jayden Wallace ‘25. Bishop Diego started their scoring as well off multiple hits and serves. Bishop Diego tied, and eventually took an early 9-5 lead.

After a timeout called by Foothill Tech, Spencer Jones ‘24 showed off his impressive hitting and blocking skills on the front line to help take the lead back. James Sokoloski ‘24 also showcased his hitting abilities to help close out the first set 25-23.

The Dragons carried their momentum into the second set and looked even more confident. Sokoloski started to heat up with even more hits and defensive plays. Bishop Diego missed many hits to also help Foothill Tech widen their lead.

Eventually, Foothill Tech closed out the set 25-18 in a much easier fashion. The set gave the Dragons a 2-0 lead in the match.

Down 2-0 in the match, Bishop Diego needed to make the right adjustments to give themselves a fighting chance to win.

The third set saw a change of pace between both teams as the rallies went on much longer per point. Both teams went back and forth with the other, however, none of the teams made a significant dent in the score.

Late in the third set, Bishop Diego made a late rally to take the set after the score was mostly tied throughout the set. Bishop Diego won the set 25-22 off of a mistake under the net made by Foothill Tech. The win sparked a brutal comeback for Bishop Diego.

More of the same came from Bishop Diego as they continued their momentum into the fourth set. Bishop Diego took an early 3-1 lead with consecutive hits from their front line. Bishop Diego kept their lead throughout the fourth set in which was concluded with a Bishop Diego backrow hit 25-19.

The teams went hit for hit in an all out final battle for the victory. After Sokoloski was blocked by Bishop Diego’s players, the teams were all tied up 10-10. Bishop Diego closed out the fifth set for the win with a late barrage of scoring and forced misses. Foothill Tech was unable to save the ball for Bishop Diego’s final point.

“We played well for the first couple games and lost some of our momentum.” Coach David Benedik commented on the team’s performance. “We just have to keep being consistent and have high level energy.”

Foothill Tech will play on their home court against Fillmore on Feb. 29 where they hope to bounce back and take their first victory of the early season.