Cartoon 115: Happy Lunar New Year!

Karli RIehle
Lunar New Years is a time for celebration recognized in various places throughout the world. Following the setting of the second new moon after the winter solstice, Lunar New Year in 2024 begins on Feb. 10. After the initial day, the new year period lasts until 15 days later when the next full moon rises and a lantern festival is held on the final day. With celebrations recorded back as early as the 14th-century Shang Dynasty, it’s said that the celebration originated from a battle against a Nian, a dragon that would prey on villages and livestock. The Nian would come down to the village once a year, until an old man had advised the village that the Nian was afraid of bright lights and loud noises, along with the color red. The village had hung red banners, lanterns, and decorations of all kinds on their houses as well as lighting firecrackers, then performing a very loud lion dance accompanied by a long dragon dance. When the Nian arrived to attack the village, it was scared off and retreated to where it had arrived from. Now to keep the Nian at bay, every year the Lunar New Year is celebrated. Associated with the lunar new year are the 12 Chinese zodiacs, which work in a 12-year cycle. The order of the zodiacs was decided in an old folk tale of a great race between the 12 animals to get to the Jade Emperor, the order decided by their place in the race. The rat is the first zodiac, as it finished first place in the race by riding along the ox’s back and jumping off at the last second. In last place was the pig, marking the end before a new rotation is started. Lunar new year in 2024 is the year of the dragon, the fifth animal to finish the race. With the dragon as Foothill Technology High School’s mascot, this year is sure to bring good luck and prosperity to the students.