“The Creator”: A visually striking gem

Kelly Quinn
While nothing groundbreaking, “The Creator” delivers on transporting the viewer to a unique world filled with brilliant practical and visual effect along with a masterful soundtrack.

“The Creator’s” premise, humanity versus Artificial Intelligence (AI), may seem like a concept done hundreds of times over. However, with its twist on said premise, along with striking visuals, “The Creator” manages to stand out amongst other science fiction and is a great, memorable experience.

The film is set in 2070 as a war wages on between the United States of America and AI in New Asia. The protagonist, Joshua (John David Washington), is behind enemy lines searching for his once thought-dead wife, Maya (Gemma Chan) and a new AI construct whom Joshua names Alphie (Madeline Yuna Voyles). The US worries that Alphie will be able to shut down a formidable weapon named NOMAD, but throughout the film, Joshua and Alphie begin to bond as he learns that his wife isn’t the woman he thought she was.

It becomes apparent throughout the film that “The Creator” is supposed to be an allegory for US intervention, specifically for Vietnam with its setting and imagery. While it may be a bit too on the nose, it still delivers this message effectively.

By the end of the film, it’s clear that the US is supposed to be the villain, but it could have been more interesting for there to be more nuance. For the ideas that “The Creator” is conveying, it is fair to just have the USA be antagonists, but one can’t help but think the movie could have been more interesting if both sides were in the right and wrong giving a more realistic outlook on war.

That being said, the visual effects in this movie are quite the spectacle. There’s both practical effects and CGI (Computer-generated imagery) that in tandem look stunning. “The Creator” had a budget of 80 million dollars, yet when compared to blockbusters with twice that budget, it triumphs in the visuals department.

One huge supporting factor in why this movie looks so good is the cinematography. The shot composition done by cinematographers Greig Fraser and Oren Soffer is simply masterful. There are countless moments from the film that are sure to stick with the viewer and that is in large part due to the style of the cinematographers.

The incredible music in “The Creator” is the final piece that made the film as good as it is. This should come as no shock as the soundtrack was made by legendary composer Hans Zimmer. When the soundtrack is working in unison with the cinematography and effects, it creates an unforgettable moment.

While not a super impactful or revolutionary film, “The Creator” still offers a memorable science fiction experience and is a great showing from director Gareth Edwards.