Clint Ellison takes a swing at coaching Foothill’s baseball team

Foothill’s varsity baseball coach Clint Ellison has been surrounded by baseball all of his life. He received a full scholarship to play for Point Loma Nazarene University in college and has coached various teams such as the Buena High School team, the California Halos, the Bulldogs travel team and Little League teams for the past 16 years.

Baseball coach Clint Ellison is eCredit: Austin Hunt/The Foothill Dragon Press
Varsity baseball coach Clint Ellison has implemented his baseball philosophy based on hard work and integrity. Credit: Austin Hunt/The Foothill Dragon Press

“I started playing at a young age and fell in love with the competitiveness of the sport,” Ellison said.

He said that his father was his coach and a mentor for baseball. For Ellison, his father “just created the love of the game.”

Ellison feels that baseball is a great sport for high school students to play.

“Baseball is great because it is a lot like life. You will have many challenges and you will only be able to control what you can control. How you react to those situations will say a lot about your character,” he said. “You learn a lot from the hard work and dedication [through] the sport of baseball.”

Now, Ellison is ready to take a swing at the brand new Foothill sports program.

The Dragons will be competing against Fillmore, Santa Paula, Cate, Thacher and Villanova high schools in the Frontier League. Ellison expects the most competition from Fillmore and Santa Paula high schools.

Ellison has been focusing on “proper fundamentals, hustle, mental and physical toughness and unquestionable sportsmanship.”

“We put in so much time that I just want them to be able to trust themselves and rely on all the practice they’ve done,” Ellison said. “I try to have my guys out-work the other teams mentally and physically.”

His players are enjoying the chance to soak up all of Ellison’s knowledge about baseball. Ellison’s first baseman, senior Will Hammer, spoke about him with great respect.

“He knows the game of baseball like Einstein knew theoretical physics, and has transformed us into, what I would consider, an admirably dedicated ball club, and has instilled in us the drive to win,” Hammer said.

“Of course there have been hiccups, but the progress we’ve made is undeniable, and it’s all thanks to Coach Ellison’s patience and knowledge of the game to its core […] He has made the program very welcoming and productive.” 

Ellison is concentrated on teaching the players his baseball philosophy that is based on integrity and hard work.

“Players should strive to excel in every aspect of the game by preparing themselves physically and mentally, which includes commitment to the team and to the program. It is important to learn how to win and lose with class. Championships are won on the practice field with hard work,” Ellison said.

Hammer understands and agrees with what Ellison is trying to accomplish with the team.

“Coach Ellison primarily teaches us the philosophy of baseball, and how to win and lose like professionals. Once we master the art of the sport, all the technical aspects will follow, and we have seen that to be true so far,” Hammer said.

Third baseman and junior Alex Beamer said that Ellison has helped him to “[take] the game seriously and competitively. He keeps us pretty well rounded.”

Ellison expects this team to do really well in league and “to go pretty deep into playoffs.”

Junior Josh Ellison, the coach’s son and the team’s second baseman, shortstop, and pitcher, shares his father’s high hopes for the team.

“I’ve been with the baseball program since summer, through winter, and now into season and I expected good things all the way through,” Josh Ellison said. “The team bonding is very well, like we’re really […] a close-knit team.”

Beamer agreed with Josh Ellison on how the team plays together.

“It’s a great group of guys. I think we get along really well and work well together,” Beamer said.

Coach Ellison is confident that the team will go far this season.

“I hope everybody comes out and watches us through league and non-league and hopefully see exciting stuff,” he said.

Background Photo Credit: Austin Hunt/The Foothill Dragon Press