Boys’ tennis takes down Santa Clara 15-3

Credit: Gabrialla Cockerell / The Foothill Dragon Press

Ventura College provided the setting for a smooth match for the Foothill varsity boys’ tennis team against Santa Clara High School. The match ended with a score of 15-3, with all three losses due to automatic forfeits.

With doubles player Noah Colby ‘17 out, the Dragons did not have enough players for a third doubles team, automatically handing three sets to the Saints. However, the other doubles players did not let up and hammered Santa Clara.

The number one doubles team of Dominic Dumont ‘17 and Peter Jespersen ‘18 won 6-1, 6-0 and 6-0, dropping only one game throughout the course of the match. Dumont thought he and his partner played “very well” with “strong serves and good play at the net.” He described their performance as flawless and this type of play seemed to flow throughout the rest of the team.

Coach Brad McClain was happy that his team “did what [he] asked them to do” which was to “be gracious, play hard and win.”

The second doubles team of Jaden Carlson ‘18 and Kyle Spasiano ‘17 were undefeated as they won 6-0, 6-0 and 6-0. McClain was happy with the way that they played.

Top singles player CJ Haberbush ‘17 took care of business winning 6-0, 6-0 and 6-0 as well. He is preparing for CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) playoffs in the coming weeks.

Yuvraj Narang ‘20 also had a relatively clean day, with three 6-0 sets to his name. He felt that he “rallied well and played strong points” as he was “constructing the point and finishing it.”

“I was just playing relaxed,” Narang said. “I want to do well in CIF.” He is hopeful for his chances in the near future.

Finally, Ethan Wang ‘20, the third singles player, was one game short of the perfect day, finishing his three sets with an impressive 6-1, 6-0, and 6-0. Wang thought he served well but wished he didn’t have three double faults throughout the match. Wang is “excited to go to the [league] finals.”

McClain thought it was a professional match and was glad that the boys “took care of business.”

“There’s a couple of weeks before the playoffs start, so we’ve got a couple of weeks to heal,” he said in reference to Colby’s injury.

McClain said that the team is “a pretty good group of guys” and that “they’re doing a better job of supporting each other as the season goes on.”

The Dragons play in the Frontier League Finals on Tuesday, May 2.