Fantastic creatures roam Foothill’s halls

Within the confinement of 100 Day Road, creatures of all kinds lurked throughout the hallways, each sluggishly roaming to their first period class after the short-lived 10 days of fall break. Some were movie characters, animals, or in their pajamas, impatiently anticipating the dreaded first day back from break.

The irony of Halloween being the first day of school following the October break did not stop students from dressing in costumes. Every year Foothill students dress in a spectrum of costumes, ranging from the adorable, the ridiculous and the spooky.

An overwhelming majority of students seemed to create their ensembles for the day of fright from items they already had in their closets or from recycled thrift store finds. Some students purchased individual pieces or entire costumes from local Halloween stores as well.

As expected, plenty of students dressed in Disney or Marvel themed costumes, a Foothill stereotype that is brought to life on the holiday. Some wanted to stand out, going all-out with their costumes, or becoming a version of a particular character from a specific film.

……………

Samantha Borunda ‘20 arrived at school dressed as the Joker from head to toe, with green hair, the makeup and signature purple attire. Borunda made it clear that she was the Heath Ledger version of the Joker.

“I’ve always loved the Joker. Even though I know a lot of people are going to be the Jared Leto and Margrot Robbie Joker and Harley Quinn, I still wanted to be the Heath Ledger version,” stated Borunda.

Many costumes were inspired by movies, TV shows and cartoons. These ensembles are usually simple to replicate because most characters have their signature looks.

Stephanie Gallegos ‘17 brought the character of Cher Horowitz from the film Clueless to the hallways of Foothill. Her plaid skirt was complimented by knee high tube socks and pigtails to achieve the classic school girl outfit.

“I’m just gonna be honest here, I really like Clueless. I would wear this school girl outfit just to school. I don’t need Halloween to wear it,” remarked Gallegos.

Other students entered campus corridors with fluffy ears, their pajamas and especially onesies. Either buying their accessories from a store or even borrowing their costumes, like Lyric Sky Hill ‘20 who found a friend with a giraffe onesie.

Katie Hernandez ‘17 arrived in neon and leg warmers, bringing them back to the 21st century. Inspired by the 80’s Jazzercise videos she found online, Hernandez realized she could create the costume from her closet. She desired something “out of the ordinary” and unique from the standard Halloween costume.

Amidst all the chaos of October 31st, there will always be the individuals that dress in the simple but classy costumes that you recognize straight away.

Mazie Anders ‘18 walked along the center of the quad with her straw hat, flannel and leather boots, one of the easiest costumes for the eye to see. Anders channeled her inner child with her classic cowgirl attire.

“Deep in my heart, I’ve always wanted to be a cowgirl and run with the horses. I took it to heart this year,” said Anders.

Halloween at school gives students who may not be going out at night an opportunity to express their inner child. Even if they aren’t going trick-or-treating, the spirit of the holiday lives on through fashionable costumes, pumpkin patches and haunted hayrides.