Wrap-Up: Girls’ water polo defeats Villanova 19-9

The girls’ water polo team played its second home game of the season on Wednesday against Villanova Preparatory School today at the Ventura Aquatics Center, defeating Villanova with a final score of 19-9.

Sophomore Meagan McKillican led Foothill’s scoring with six goals. Sophomore Lezly Plahn scored four points; senior Ariana Singer and freshman Jocelyn Thorp each scored three times. Junior Vanessa Villalpando, senior Annie Sinclair and sophomore Melissa Bigham each scored once throughout the game.

In the first quarter of the game, Foothill scored ten goals, with Villanova only scoring four.

Coach Samantha Ebberson said that “[the girls] came out to win” in the first quarter.

“I think they definitely went out there today and set the tone of the season,” said Ebberson. “Winning their first league game the way they did is going to make everyone know, ‘Hey, we’re Foothill and we come to play.’”

Ebberson still believes that the team can improve on “protecting the ball” and making “better passes,” but knows that they will improve with more “game experience.”

Foothill now has a league record of one win and zero losses.

The team competes against Malibu High School on Thursday at the Ventura Aquatics Center. According to Ebberson, “it’s going to be a big game.”