New “Best Day” club seeks to help kids

Photo: The Best Day club members comit to providing kids with ‘the best day ever.’ Photo by Claire Ainsworth, The Foothill Dragon Press.

“It’s a chance for the kids to have a normal life, because they don’t have that very often,” said club president Jessica Lucas.

She started the club to get high school kids involved and raise funds. The club began meeting second semester and has big goals for the future.

They are planning on starting beach days in May when the weather warms up. But in order to truly give the kids the best day, they need to fundraise. The club is planning to be involved with a Jack Johnson movie concert fundraiser at the Oaks Lodge some time inFebruary.

Anyone is welcome to come and there will be a silent auction as well. They’ll also need volunteers for this event, and the club will be a big part of its success.

When the beach day does come around, the foundation makes sure the kids have the resources to have the best day possible. They have a professional that builds sand castles and gets the kids involved. They also take the kids into the ocean where they kayak, surf, body board and do other fun activities throughout the day.

Jessica Lucas attended the first beach day in Ventura about two months ago and found the experience rewarding.

“It’s really great to see how much the kids are having fun” she said.

The Best Day club meets on Tuesday in Jason Dinkler’s class, room F104, after FIRE. They welcome anyone that is interested in helping with the organization in order to give the kids the best day.