Despite media distortion, not all priests are pedophiles

Credit: Michael Morales/The Foothill Dragon Press

With the recent resignation of Pope Benedict XVI and sexual scandal revealing itself both at home and abroad; the Catholic Church is dealing with turmoil of biblical proportions.

Most recently, Scottish cardinal Keith O’Brian, who also served as archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburg, resigned after confirming allegations that he abused four male students who were studying to become priests. 

Cardinal O’Brian is just one of many members of the Roman Catholic clergy who helped shine an international spotlight on the sexual abuse happening within the Church. Another such clergy member is Cardinal Roger Mahoney of the archdiocese of Los Angeles (which includes Ventura) who is facing fresh attention over what role he may have played in the cover-up of sexual abuse by priests.

Luckily, the media has been a devoted watchdog in the area of sexual abuse conducted by priests, and abuse victims have been able to raise awareness internationally by speaking out. Catholics once timid about confronting their abusers are now more comfortable denouncing them. Clergy members who have had a long record of abuse have been revealed and rightfully thrown to the wolves (by which I mean the authorities).  

As a Roman Catholic on his way to baptism this Easter Season, I appreciate everything the media has done. There is no reason abuse should be kept silent simply because the one doing the abuse wears a priest’s robe or a cardinal’s attire. Catholics, or anyone else for that matter, who conceal the treacherous actions of others bring shame upon us all, and I can only hope that anyone who has been abused by a member of the Church has the courage to report it.

And although I am grateful for the media’s role in increasing awareness, I am concerned with the perceptions that the media is perpetuating.

When you read the newspaper, you may get the sense that the Catholic Church is doing nothing to resolve the problems that are engulfing it in scandal. As a matter of fact, it would seem as if the Church’s policy to combat abuse is to simply pay off the abused and transfer the priest to another parish.

Well believe it or not, the Catholic Church is attempting to correct its errors that have damaged the lives of various innocent individuals.

In order to eradicate sexual misconduct in each parish, the church is attacking the problem through preventive measures.

Children are now taught to spot abuse, report it, and to protect themselves from falling into the clutches of church officials will lesser intentions. Adults are told to have regular conversations with children concerning abuse and to monitor the relationships between their child and priests. All the while, the Vatican is forming commissions that track down immoral priests and other officials. One commission has already revealed a network of clergy members that are attempting to conceal their activities. 

Although it may seem as if the church is covering up sexual abuse, the Catholic Church is attempting to resolve the problems that are plauging it. Yes, they are attacking the issue slowly, but they are making strides to eliminate sexual abuse.

Furthermore, it ought to be understood that while the media may make it seem as if every other priest is taking advantage of and raping innocent children, the situation is much different. The majority of priests are men of good intent whose life’s goal is to bring faith and harmony into those seeking a relationship with God. They make it their mission to become advocates of peace, love and justice. They do not join the clergy because they have some sick desire to abuse children.

Now I’m not saying that every priest is perfect. But what I am saying is that when you compare the amount of people in the priesthood to the amount of sexual abuse cases, the amount of abuse taking place is miniscule. This does not mean that the abuse is any less horrific or damaging, but it does mean is that the abuse portrayed by the media is not as prevalent as it may appear.

Priests shouldn’t be labeled as abusers and pedophiles simply because others in the same occupation have soiled the trust given to them by others. Keep in mind that they are people just like us, and the last thing they want to see happen is the sexual abuse of children.

So next time you see or read about a sexual abuse scandal taking place within the Church, keep in mind that not every priest is a pedophile.

The Vatican, in all its complexity and slowness, is attempting to eradicate this evil from its institution through teaching parents, children, and raising awareness.

I hope that Pope Francis will lead the church in the right direction and continue to unveil abuse wherever it may hide.