RESPONSE: Chick-Fil-A: An abomination to Ventura

Chick-Fil-A should not be boycotted just because of what their Chief Operations Officer believes. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

To be honest, I was excited at the fact that Ventura was going to have a Chick-Fil-A in close proximity to our school. As a matter of fact, I was so excited that immediately after I heard they were coming to town I rushed to my friends and planned our going there one month before it even opened.

I knew of the fiasco that had consumed the franchise a few months prior and of the negative effects that it had on countless of individuals. However, as ignorant as I may have been, I assumed that no one would mind the appearance of this family fun franchise in town; especially since new things come to our small beach town once every 300 years.

My ignorance was short lived.

Quickly after reading Karina Schink’s compelling article “Chick-Fil-A: An Abomination to Ventura,” I realized that the offence which Chief Operations Officer, Dan Cathy, had inflicted on many with his rude comments was still fresh in the minds of countless individuals.

I realize that his comments were extremely offensive and insulting. I also realize that although these comments were said many months ago, that does not make them any less worse. However, when thinking about it, don’t you think that being completely hostile towards the entire Chick-Fil-A franchise is as bad as the comments Dan Cathy said? After all, when we call Chick-Fil-A a homophobic institution we are not simply blaming Dan Cathy and his family, but we are blaming every employee and store owner that makes up the franchise.

Furthermore, it should be universally known that the business structure of Chick-Fil-A is not a feudal one.

All of the independently owned Chick-Fil-A’s do not pay homage to the company headquarters ideology. Yes they follow company guidelines and regulations, but that does not mean that each store harbors the same animosity towards homosexuals as Dan Cathy.

The fact that each Chick-Fil-A is independently owned serves as an indicator that not every restaurant is homophobic. Each Chick-Fil-A is owned by a different individual with a different mindset, and as such these owners may completely disagree with Dan Cathy’s ideology and his families supposed agenda to, as Schink said, “Get homosexuals into therapy, with the intent of changing their sexual orientation.” 

Even if the entire Board of Directors is composed of homophobic individuals, we shouldn’t fall into the biased mindset of assuming that the company’s sole purpose is to eradicate homosexuals from the face of the planet. I would bet a pretty penny that as a business they consume themselves more with selling their delicious product than with deviating a plot to sabotage and destroy the LGBTQ movement.

Personally, I don’t care what one flaming nut job from the ultra-far right has to say. As a Christian Conservative I know what he said was spiteful and wrong; I only hope that he comes to the realization that he offended, and continues to offend, countless individuals. However, although I do not support his ideology, I stand behind his right to say it. Everyone has the freedom of expression and as such people should not be harassed for saying something which may be unpopular in the minds of others.

Chick-Fil-A is not an evil corporation. It is a family run franchise with outspoken individuals who tarnish the establishments of others by saying politically and socially incorrect statements. They, like every other fast food place, are in the food industry with the intent of serving people and making money, not being an institution within the political arena.

All in all, even though one out of the various executives said something offensive, I will wholeheartedly support Chick-Fil-A by buying their scrumptious chicken strips and out-of-this-world waffle fries.