Foothill Tech dives into the competition at the Ventura County Swim Championships

Amber Duhs
On the sunny afternoons of March 19-21, 2024, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) swim team competed in the Ventura County Championship swim meet, one of the biggest meets of the season. Featuring schools from across the county, and held at the Ventura Aquatic Center, the competition was fierce, but the team did well. The girls’ and boys’ teams placed sixth and 11th overall, respectively. The team will compete next on March 26, against Villanova Preparatory School, jumping in to the start of their 2024 season.

The annual Ventura County Swim and Dive Championships took place from March 20 to the 22, where the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) swim and dive team competed against 15 other teams for the county title. After three days of competition, the girls team emerged sixth and the boys, 11th.

Foothill Tech started the competition off strong in the 200-yard IM where Cynthia Hu ‘26 placed second and Mikaela Clabaugh ‘25 followed suit in ninth.

Clabaugh said, “The girls placed sixth overall in the county, and everyone worked hard to either simply improve times or PR (personal record) in their events.”

Next, the Dragons competed in the 50-yard freestyle where Camilla Lewis ‘25 earned eighth place. The Foothill Tech boys swam their first competitor in the 50-yard freestyle, Aiden Cummings ‘25, who placed 16th overall.

Cummings spoke on the team’s future, saying, “I think the season could shape up pretty well … I’m feeling good about where I’m gonna end up by the end of the season.”

Lewis competed a second time for the Dragons in the 100-yard freestyle, earning ninth place. Similarly, Hu swam again for Foothill Tech and placed second in the 500-yard freestyle and behind her, the Dragons also had Kylan Jaeger ‘26 in the 500-yard freestyle where he earned himself 13th.

Foothill Tech’s relays proved to be successful as the girls earned 12th in the 200-yard freestyle relay and the boys took ninth in the same event. However, the Dragons were not done with their relay success as they competed in the 400-yard freestyle relay where the girls placed sixth and the boys earned themselves a 10th place finish.

Hu stated, “The entire team was so positive and eager to race. Everyone was so supportive and I was incredibly grateful for the opportunity to race with these amazing people.”

The Dragons will compete next at Villanova on March 26, against La Reina High School and Dunn High School.