Girls’ soccer triumphs over Hueneme 4-0

Taylor Schmidt
On the brisk night of Dec. 11, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ soccer team sits together to receive feedback on how they played from one of their coaches, Patty Gomez, winning against Hueneme High School (Hueneme), finishing 4-0.

On the starless night of Dec. 11, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ soccer team laced up their cleats in a match against Hueneme High School (Hueneme). The match took place on the Dragon’s home turf, the Ventura College Sportsplex, and in the end the Dragons were successful, triumphing 4-0 against Hueneme.

Taylor Liston ’24 (holding/defensive midfielder) uses her strong footwork and good technique to advance towards the goal, surrounded by two of the opposing team’s players. (Taylor Schmidt)

The match began with back and forth possession between the teams until Foothill Tech’s Taylor Liston ‘24 scored on Hueneme 13 minutes into the match. Both teams continued to add pressure, with the Dragon’s defense playing the ball forward and giving the offense many opportunities to score, securing their lead at 1-0.

When asked how the team played, Cameryn Henuber ‘24 commented, “I thought the back line did good, we did good on getting it out, we definitely need to work on our shape but other than that we did pretty strong.” Maddie Wicks ‘26 also spoke of the team’s play, “We matched our physicality and came in with intensity in both the first and second half.”

Well into the first half, the Dragons took a corner kick where, after a struggle in the box for possession, Julia Geib ‘25 gathered the ball and scored, pushing their lead to 2-0. While in the lead, Foothill Tech’s defensive line stayed strong as goalkeeper Addi Fallon ‘25 along with the Dragon’s defensive players, kept the ball on their offensive halves, which allowed the Dragons to stay in the lead.

As the first half comes to an end, Ruby Mecham ’26 (center forward) interferes with a pass between players on Hueneme. She sprints to attack, takes the ball and advances towards the goal to make a shot. (Taylor Schmidt)

Fallon spoke on her gameplay, as she said, “The ball didn’t get back to me too much, but I was staying in the game and communicating, and I managed to keep a clean sheet which is good.”

During the second half, the Dragons kept the intensity up with two more goals from Siena Meter ’26 and Maddie Wicks ‘26 to push their lead to 4-0. The Dragon’s defensive efforts continued until the end of the match, allowing Foothill Tech a dominating win 4-0.

Liston spoke on how the team could improve by stating, “I think we can definitely work on connecting passes better, especially connecting between our back line and our forward line.”

The Dragon’s next match will be an away game on Dec. 15 against Fillmore High School (Fillmore) where they hope to continue staying strong in their pre-season play and prepare for the upcoming league season.

As she approaches the goal, Siena Meter ’26 (left wing) dribbles down the field, looking for another teammate to pass to as she puts up a fight for the ball against two of her opponents from Hueneme. (Taylor Schmidt)