Trunk or Treat brings students together for the spirit of Halloween

Taylor Schmidt
On Oct. 31 2023, students of Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) were encouraged to dress up and enjoy some sweet Halloween treats provided by their peers and teachers at Trunk or Treat. Fun costumes were displayed such as Willy Wonka and his Oompa Loompas, shown by Kelsey Stolworthy ’24, Ashlyn Mullin ’24, Kaili Garrett ’24 and Taylor Liston ’24.

After an exciting fall break for Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech), Dragons returned to the annual Trunk or Treat on Oct. 31, 2023, hosted by the Associated Student Body (ASB) in the school parking lot. Any student with a parking spot had the opportunity to open their Halloween-themed trunk and give candy to the students of Foothill Tech, in celebration of the holiday.

Fiona Aulenta

The yearly event began with ASB putting fliers on cars in the Foothill Tech student parking lot. The students who chose to hand out candy for Trunk or Treat were released from third period early, excited to set up the decorations for their trunk. Later, students poured out of their classrooms and ran to the festivities, held during lunch and FIRE.

As the students streamed into the Foothill Tech parking lot, the candy distributors had their trunks open with a variety of different decorations and themes promoting the spirit of Halloween. The students were able to wander the parking lot enjoying the treats and scenery while with their friends and peers. Teachers joined in, with Naiyma Houston decking out her trunk, Melanie “Captain” Lindsey passing out candy and Justin Frazier taking photos of the event.

Ryan Alderman ‘25 gave her opinion on the occasion saying, “It was cool and nice having everybody in the parking lot, and being able to hang out with my friends in the back of my car and decorate and have fun. I don’t know if ‘ll do it again but it was a good experience.”

The students who were Trunk-or-Treating had the option to get candy from every trunk and also to pet the service dogs at Foothill Tech who dressed up for the occasion. Some students even participated in wearing costumes to show their Halloween spirit upon the occasion.

Finley Colavito ‘26 shared her feelings upon the activity, saying, “I thought it was a good way to bring different grades together and build the whole school as a community.”

As Trunk or Treat came to an end and upperclassmen ran out of candy to pass out, it brought Halloween to Foothill Tech and its students. When dragons started to pack up their cars, the liveliness of the event gave a taste for what the evening activities would hold.