Wrap-Up: Boys’ golf flushes competition in league tournament

The Foothill boys’ golf team dominated their third league tournament at River Ridge Golf Club with a total of 479 strokes on March 24. The Dragons defeated Fillmore High School (510 strokes), Santa Clara High School (548 strokes), Carpinteria High School (561 strokes) and Santa Paula High School (565 strokes). This is the team’s third league win.

Senior Scott Hamlet “had a tough day” according to Coach Mark Wipf, but “was still [the] low man for [Foothill] Tech with an 89.” Freshman Sean Ward and Ryan Riffenburgh each had a personal best, with Ward shooting a 90 and Riffenburgh a 93.

Foothill was the only team to average below 100 on that day with a 95.8 team average, according to Wipf.

Coach Wipf is looking forward to his three captains, seniors Jameson Mah, Trevor O’Keefe, and Ryan Stem, finishing the CIF-mandated 30-day sit-out period as it will “put [Foothill] Tech at full strength for the first time going into the second half of league.”

As for the team’s improvements, Wipf is focused on continuing to “play one shot at a time.”

“Each player is at a different level,” he said. “Players are also working on their pre-shot routine and swinging in balance. Each of these factors lead to more solid ball striking, better control, more distance and confidence.”