Everything you should know about upcoming virtual and in-person senior events

Riyanna De La Rosa

New plans for senior events are announced in the midst of school cancellation.

Emma Yakel, Reporter

As the COVID-19 outbreak swept the nation and the world, causing closures and social distancing measures, it has also swept the typical celebrations of seniors right along with it. As the end of the 2019-20 school year quickly approaches, the class of 2020 has been left to question whether events such as graduation and senior awards will happen and what these events will look like. Through efforts from the Ventura Unified School District (Ventura Unified) and Foothill Technology High School (FTHS), an outline of events has been created to replicate some of the senior celebrations, even though they all can not be in person.

According to a document sent out by the Associated Student Body (ASB), a variety of events will take place virtually to celebrate seniors and supplement some of the usual traditions. Some events are still being planned and projected to be in person later this year.

Starting May 28, a virtual senior awards night will be taking place that will feature the emcees Melanie “Captain” Lindsey and Justin Frazier as well as other staff members who will be announcing award recipients and those that were granted a spot to the Hall of Fame. A slideshow that contains the winners and those recognized will be released on May 29 for those that were not able to attend the live showing. 

Following the senior awards night, on June 8 from the times 10 am to 1 pm, seniors will be able to pick up senior materials which include their yearbooks, cords, cap and gowns, awards and gifts. Students will be given the chance to return textbooks and sports uniforms along with cleaning out their lockers and settling anything that needs to be addressed. 

On June 20, seniors will be able to participate in a virtual graduation ceremony. This ceremony will involve slides that are created by students with personal messages. Graduation will also feature speeches and musical performances. 

A date is still being determined for a projected in-person cap and gown activity which will provide seniors the opportunity to wear their caps and gowns in a non-virtual setting to be congratulated. This event will be performed in accordance with public health directives. The committee in charge of planning the event expects it to occur mid-June. 

A special one-year reunion is also being planned to celebrate the class. This reunion will hopefully provide a chance for the Class of 2020 to reconnect with people who they were unable to meet and interact with in the last four months of high school, a year after their graduation.

While there have been many changes made to the end of the 2020 school year, many individuals are working hard in an attempt to replicate some of the memorable times.