A night of glitter and glamor: Prom 2024

On May 4, 2024, the long awaited prom took place at the Poinsettia Pavilion with the theme of the “Roaring ’20s”. The entrance had a balloon arch with red and gold carpets welcoming students. After getting their wristbands, Associative Student Body (ASB) provided students with a place to check in bags and coats so they could be stored safely during the dance. Throughout the night, more and more students gathered in front of the DJ to dance, while others played games outside and socialized with friends.

Covered in glitter and gold, on May 4, 2024, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) students, new and old, headed into the Poinsettia Pavilion to get into the swing of Foothill Tech’s annual prom, hosted by the Associative Student Body (ASB)’s class of 2025.

Kathleen Cheng

This year’s theme was the “Roaring ’20s”, which, as seen by the name, was heavily inspired by the American 1920s. The theme was reflected in the color scheme ASB picked out, incorporating both decorations and food following the classy motif of black and gold.

After waiting on a grand staircase to get into the venue, guests eventually made their way through the complementary rooms that ASB had set up for them, including a bag check, dancing space and additional refreshment and entertainment areas. Many chose to stay on the dance floor and enjoy the music while being in groups with their friends.

A photo booth, a student fan favorite, was located at the back of the dance floor, constantly maintaining a lengthy line of eager students. 

Tables filled with Bundtinis and Crumbl Cookies provided students with a quick snack before returning to the dance floor. With many flavor options, this was definitely a favorite among Dragons. (Kathleen Cheng)

Other amenities included a separate room with tables for Dragons to lounge in as they picked up some delicious desserts including Nothing Bundt Cakes and Crumbl Cookie. They were also able to play a myriad of games such as pool, air hockey and cards. Besides the tabletop games, ASB had set up screens allowing people to play video games during the event, leaving additional entertainment options for the guests. 

On the outside patio, drinks and Mr. Softee were available as well as more tables so students could get some fresh air and step away from the crowded dance floor. Rickey Salinas ‘24 said, “We got seating outside, we got a nice view … I think it’s a big upgrade since last year, and I think [ASB] did a really good job.”

As the night went on, the venue became a lot more lively as dance circles formed and people became more social. Shea Stevenson ‘26 said, “I thought it would be really stressful, but now that I’m here it’s really nice and I’m not that nervous anymore.”

This year marks both the first and last proms of many students, creating a range of emotions for everyone. For the class of 2024, senior prom proves to be a highly anticipated event as it is the last dance of their high school career. 

Leo Pankratz ‘24 said, “It’s kind of surreal to make it here … [school is] very competitive and very stressful. We’re all trying to get into the highest colleges, but when we come to dances, we’re all in unity, and I find that I can really get to know my friends and be real with them.”

Camille Tholl 24’ added, “I didn’t go to my junior prom, so a lot of the emotions are coming from this is my first time, and not this is my last time.”

Outside of prom, it is common for friends to get together and spend the day with each other before the night, and it can be really special for some. Daniel Franco ‘24 said, “What makes it the most fun is the actual people you go with … going out to dinner with everyone and taking pictures is a huge part of it.”

The most eagerly awaited event of the school year had inevitably come to a close as Dragons made their way out of the venue and onto whatever destination they had next. Over the ocean view and cloudy skies, the event turned out to be a successful night.