Dragons travel back in time with a decades themed spirit week

Claire Hadley
A decade-themed spirit week was a thrilling lead up to “Roaring ’20s” themed prom that took place on May 4, 2024. Students got the opportunity to show off their poodle skirts, bell bottom jeans, Juicy Couture and leather jackets.

In preparation for Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech)’s “Roaring ’20s” prom, Associated Student Body (ASB) hosted a decades-themed spirit week from April 29 to May 3, 2024.

Each day of the spirit week was counting down to the 1920s; the theme of prom. Additionally, at lunch each day, ASB played music from each decade in the quad.

As Miranda Aguilar ‘25, Junior class Vice President, put it, “Spirit weeks are meant to build community and are just an opportunity for fun and to mix up what can feel like a monotonous school year.”

Aguilar also shared how they decided upon the decades theme for spirit week. “We had received student requests for a decades week, and it seemed perfect to start at the 2000s then count down to our roaring ’20s themed prom.”

Monday was Y2K day. Students were encouraged to wear Y2K-inspired clothing and accessories such as low rise jeans, big sunglasses, monochromatic outfits, rhinestones, cardigans and tracksuits. Alyssa Ross ‘25 stated, “I dressed up for Y2K day, but then I realized no one else was so I didn’t [dress up] for the rest of the week.”

Tuesday was ’90s day, in which participating students were seen wearing basketball jerseys, baggy shorts and graphic tees.

On Wednesday, students accessorized with neon and fluorescent clothing with the occasional hair chalk and bright makeup to correlate with the ’80s.

Seventies day landed on Thursday, which was characterized by ’70s rock band t-shirts and peace and love-themed clothing.

Friday, the last day of spirit week, was ’50s themed. Some students wore Grease-inspired outfits, poodle skirts, white t-shirts and leather jackets.

As the week came to a close, Aguilar had come up with a few suggestions of how to increase student participation for future spirit weeks. She said, “I would love to see an increase in teacher participation. I think it would create a fun environment that everyone would want to take part in.”

Additionally, as a way to increase participation in next year’s spirit weeks, Julian Cartellieri ‘25 suggested that ASB could “reward people for dressing up so that they are more inclined to participate.”

Overall, the decades-themed spirit week helped get dragons at Foothill Tech excited for their much anticipated “Roaring ’20s” prom night.