From hopscotch to foursquare: Seniors relive childhood memories at Senior Recess

Aiden Gomez
Seniors gather in the quad for recess on the sunny afternoon of May 16, 2024. The students take a break from their studies to enjoy games, socializing and the warm spring weather. The recess has become a cherished tradition, allowing seniors to unwind and take them back to their childhood days and bond during their final weeks of high school.

As the 2023-2024 school year comes to a close, seniors prepare for the daunting responsibilities of adulthood. In an attempt to celebrate and cherish their earliest memories of elementary school, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech)’s Associated Student Body (ASB) created a Senior Recess for the eldest of the school’s Dragons on May 16, 2024.

At 6 p.m., seniors arrived at Foothill Tech as the upbeat sounds of 2000s music filled the quad. The theme of the event was the beloved Pixar film “Toy Story“, and the quad was adorned with an array of decorations inspired by the movie. Colorful “Toy Story” themed balloons, tablecloths and a large banner greeted the Class of 2024, creating a festive and nostalgic atmosphere for the seniors while they enjoyed their recess.

Tables were arranged on the stage, offering students a variety of childhood snacks and drinks. There were Rice Krispies Treats, Pirate’s Booty, Goldfish, Sprite, apple juice and even Domino’s pizza. Additionally, one of the tables featured a container filled with toys like bubbles and Silly Bandz for the seniors to enjoy.

I think the purpose of tonight is to bring us back to our old elementary school days and give us memories to remember from our senior year.”

— Valen Montano ‘24

To make the event even more reminiscent, Leo Pankratz ‘24 said, “I would have added Gushers and Otter Pops, they made my childhood and I did not see them.”

In the quad there was also a variety of nostalgic games intended to make the eldest of Foothill Tech students feel young again. The games featured during the event were foursquare, spike ball, hula hoops, cornhole and hopscotch. They even included an inflatable obstacle course where students could race against their peers.

The event brought back many childhood memories for the seniors. Kelsey Stolworthy ‘24 shared how her favorite memory of elementary school recess was, “playing on the grass and playing kickball with [her] friends.”

According to Lupita Gonzalez ‘24, ASB Special Projects Director, events like Senior Recess are important for seniors because, “it celebrates that they are finally leaving high school … and that they’ve achieved a lot throughout their 12 years.” Gonzalez also shared that the Senior Recess offered students, “a chance to celebrate.”

As the seniors exited the quad, they could reminisce about their academic journey and acknowledge how far they have gotten. With senior recess over, ASB had successfully allowed for the new adults to feel and act like kids again.