Foothill’s February blood drive collects units of blood in numbers not seen since 2006

United+Blood+Services+bus%2C+where+students+donated+blood.+

United Blood Services bus, where students donated blood.

Mason King

Mason King

Mason King

Mason King, News Writer

Foothill’s most recent blood drive, run by the Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA) and the Bioscience Leadership Team, has collected a total of 61 units of blood—a number not seen since 2006.

Vitalant, the company that collects the blood, provides it to local hospitals, such as Community Memorial Hospital and Ventura County Medical Centers.

“Every pint of blood saves [three] lives,” says Bioscience Academy Coordinator Mika Anderson. “When you think about the broader picture, we’ve all been to the hospital.”

The ability to make a difference almost immediately in someone’s life is something that Anderson believes is an “important way to give back to our local community in a medical sense.”

According to Anderson, donation is even more important because blood is unique in the sense that it cannot be synthesized in a lab; the only place to produce blood is the human body, which means it’s in constant demand.

“There’s always a need for blood,” she said. “Someone always needs it, and there always seems to be a shortage.”

While this year’s blood drive was successful, Anderson would like to see even more growth and wants to branch out by giving parents and any other interested community members an opportunity to come and donate with students in the future.

“If we can collect 61 units of blood with just our students, and then we allowed parents to donate, I think we can get even more blood and be even more helpful,” she expressed.

Editor’s Note: At 5:39 p.m. on Feb. 19, a correction was made to say that every pint of blood saves three lives, instead of two.

About the Contributor
1 Comment

One Response to “Foothill’s February blood drive collects units of blood in numbers not seen since 2006”

1. Mrs. Anderson on February 15th, 2019 7:08 pm

I misspoke while being interviewed. Every pint of blood saves three lives, not two. So for 61 units of blood, we saved 183 lives. Thank you to the Foothill Dragon Press for publishing this. We really thank the donors for their generosity.

• Foothill’s February blood drive collects units of blood in numbers not seen since 2006

Latest

“Midsummer Night Masquerade Prom” unites students through music and dancing

Latest

Bioscience pushes for an AED, one is installed

News

Air Guitar’s summer bash melts away the stress of school

News

Rain or shine, the chalk festival goes on

News

Erin Prewitt and Trevor Quirk illustrate the dangers of intoxicated driving

News

ASB makes menstruation no obstacle, period

News

News Brief: all-district art show to display art by 27 Foothill students

News

Strawberry-themed Renaissance rally leaves campus on a sweet note

News

News Brief: AVID applications open for the 2019-20 school year

Intersections

District CTE Greg Bayless invited to QSA meeting, hears student concerns