From smoothies to sound baths: Wellness Week at Foothill Tech

From+March+4-8%2C+2024%2C+Wellness+Week+was+held+at+Foothill+Technology+High+School+%28Foothill+Tech%29+to+inform+students+of+ways+to+improve+ones+mental+and+physical+health.+The+week+focused+on+many+things+such+as+a+sound+bath%2C+a+tabling+event%2C+a+safeTalk%2C+a+blender+bike+and+even+therapy+dogs.+
Luigirey Guce
From March 4-8, 2024, Wellness Week was held at Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) to inform students of ways to improve one’s mental and physical health. The week focused on many things such as a sound bath, a tabling event, a safeTalk, a blender bike and even therapy dogs.
Sofia Patiño

During the week of March 4 to March 8, 2024, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) hosted a Wellness Week to remind students of the benefits of mental and physical health. Although this wasn’t the first Wellness Week at Foothill Tech, it brought new opportunities for students to experience a variety of wellness activities and resources.

On Monday, a sound bath was brought to Foothill Tech for students, friends and family to enjoy and relax. At lunch in the Black Box, the student session was held where Raising Mami Alchemy had set up different sound bowls and other instruments for students to listen to while laying down on a mat. After school, the sound bath was available for staff members. Later that night, Spirito Hall housed an evening session in both English and Spanish.

Foothill Tech students took the opportunity to blend their own smoothie using power generated by pedaling a bicycle. The smoothie bike drew a crowd of onlookers, many of whom were waiting for their chance to make a delicious smoothie. (Aidan Gomez)

On Tuesday, a tabling event occurred in the quad where different organizations and resources were available to dragons. Some of the tables set up were from BRITE (Building Resilience and Inclusion Through Engagement), Interface Children and Family Resources and Ventura County Health Care Agency. Most of the tables had resourceful information for students, including a variety of free toys such as stress balls, pencils and other fidgets.

If students were able to get five hole punches, one for every table visit, on a paper they were given at the event, they could receive a prize. Additionally, those students would be entered into a raffle that would be announced at the end of the week.

“I’ve never experienced this in my four years at Foothill [Tech] so it’s nice to see that they are prioritizing mental health,” mentioned Lupita Gonzalez ‘24

The third day of Wellness Week provided Foothill Tech students a safeTALK with instructor Gabe Teran, which was held in the Wellness Center.

During Wellness Week, dogs took over Foothill Technology High School’s (Foothill Tech) campus once again. A gentle giant with a long silky white coat named Captain Kai, caught many of the students’ attention. Captain Kai is a four-year-old English creme Golden Retriever who loves to swim in the ocean and play keep away. (Luigirey Guce)

This was a training available for attendees 15 and up to educate people how to recognize the signs of suicide and how to help those struggling with thoughts about self-harm.

On Thursday, students were able to make their own smoothies through a bike-powered blender. This was a popular event allowing students to blend their own smoothie by utilizing the motion created by the rotation of the bicycle chain. There was a table set up with different fruits and liquids to add to the smoothie. Students got to enjoy the smoothie they created after pedaling the wheels on the bike. “It looks like such a fun way to make your own smoothie,” Hannah Bell ‘25 stated.

Love on a Leash” visited Foothill Tech on the last day of Wellness Week. “Love on a Leash” is a volunteer-run non-profit organization aimed at providing comfort and stress relief through the use of certified therapy dogs. Foothill Tech students were able to interact with the therapy dogs while learning more about the benefits of their organization.

“The dogs help us feel a sense of relief because well, who doesn’t love dogs?” said Eliel Suarez ‘24.

Wellness Week at Foothill Tech aimed to educate students about the benefits of physical and mental health and as Suarez stated, provide a “chance for Foothill [Tech] students to relieve stress after pressure from school.” Amid the backdrop of class projects, exams and homework, the Foothill Tech Wellness Week put a spotlight on student health.

During lunch on March 8, 2024, the spotlight was on therapy dogs such as Dalphina (Dali), a flat haired Golden Doodle. Dali and her fellow dog friends walked around Foothill Tech during FIRE and lunch to make new friends. She appreciates students petting her, loves the attention and has been part of multiple previous “Love on a Leash” events. (Luigirey Guce)