Boys’ tennis takes victory over Thacher in first home match

Kelly+Quinn+24+moves+to+intercept+the+ball+and+send+it+back+over+the+net+while+his+teammate+prepares+to+return+a+ball+next+to+him.+
Eli Billings
Kelly Quinn ’24 moves to intercept the ball and send it back over the net while his teammate prepares to return a ball next to him.
Dylan Files ’26 gears up to return an incoming ball back over the net in hopes of getting the point. Files and his doubles partner, Greg Davis ’26, won all three of their sets. (Eli Billings)

On April 11, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) boys’ tennis team went head to head with Thacher High School (Thacher) in their first home game of the season. After three rounds of play, Foothill Tech emerged on top with a comfortable win of 13-5.

In line one of the singles matches, Charlie Powers ‘27 won both of the two matches he played with scores of 6-3 and 6-4 which contributed two points to the team’s overall score.

Powers reflected on his personal performance in the match, “I felt pretty good about my game today but there’s a lot to work on … my forehand was inconsistent and my kick serve didn’t kick enough … but I won my matches.”

In line two of singles, James Sokoloski ’24 also prevailed over both his opponents in the two sets he played with scores of 6-3 and 6-2. Preston Alford ‘24, who was subbed in for the middle set, took the win over his opponent with a score of 4-1.

Charlie Powers ’27 leaps to send the ball hurtling over the net for his serve. Powers went on to win both sets that he played. (Eli Billings)

In line three, Shaurya Shyam ‘25 dominated all three of his sets 6-1, 6-0 and 6-0, respectively. This added an additional three points to the team’s final score. Overall, Foothill Tech exercised unquestioned control in their singles lineup, winning all their sets save for one.

On the doubles side, Foothill Tech remained on offense, their strong play adding more points to the final score. Dylan Files ‘26 and Greg Davis ‘26 defeated all three of their opponents with dominating scores of 6-0, 6-1 and 6-1, respectively.

Files spoke on he and Davis’s combined performance, stating, “We played really well … we played cohesively and we didn’t make many unforced errors.”

Ansh Joshi ’26 tosses the tennis ball in the air in preparation for his serve. Joshi and his teammate Aaditya Atluri ’27 won two of the three sets they played. (Eli Billings)

Ansh Joshi ‘26 and Aaditya Atluri ‘27 were able to take two of their three sets with scores of 6-1 and 6-3. These wins contributed to the final score of 13-5, giving Foothill Tech the overall win.

Head coach Dan Fitzpatrick commented on the team’s win, “They rose to the challenge and played great … everyone was picking up victories where they needed to.”

The Dragons will compete next on their home court against St. Bonaventure High School on April 15 for their senior night, where they seek to come away with another win and continue their undefeated league record.