Foothill Tech students cast their votes at the annual ASB election

Lauren Kaller
On Feb. 9, 2024, the Associated Student Body (ASB) began the voting process of leadership elections for the upcoming school year. Although the actual voting is only one day, candidates spent the past week campaigning and convincing students to vote for them. Hailey Hall ’25 and Max Fielder ’25 both are running for senior class president.

As students and faculty at Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) progress into the third quarter of the 2023-2024 school year, the Associated Student Body (ASB) hosted their annual elections to determine who will fill the roles of president and vice president for the sophomore, junior and senior classes for the 2024-2025 school year.

The election process took place from Feb. 5 to Feb. 9, 2024. Candidates put up posters around school and advertised on social media to further promote their candidacy.

The candidates consisted of Max Fielder ‘25 and Hailey Hall ‘25 for senior class president, Lauren Fossati ‘25 and Jack Merritt ‘25 for senior class vice president, Naomi Schwartz ‘26 for junior class president, Siena Meter ‘26 for junior class vice president, JJ Mendes ‘27 for sophomore class president and Nate Frazier ‘27 for sophomore class vice president.

“I am running for this position because I want to make a difference,” Merritt said. “I feel like the senior years have been the same the past year after year, and I really want to make it memorable and special for all the upcoming seniors.”

Schwartz emphasized the role of ASB at Foothill Tech, stating, “ASB plays a lot bigger role than a lot of students realize. We put together all the spirit weeks, all of the dances and any other connection events for different classes. I think a lot of students sometimes under-appreciate what ASB does.”

We [ASB] are really trying to create a sense of community among the school.

— Naomi Schwartz ‘26

On Feb. 7, 2024, an election fair took place in the quad, providing an opportunity for the ASB representatives to engage with students and promote their candidacies. Each candidate had a designated table adorned with a poster displaying their name and desired position. Some candidates even had a sweet treat at their table, such as candy, cupcakes and rice crispy treats to enhance their appeal.

Hall shared her goals and ideas of how to improve Foothill Tech as a senior class president. “One of my goals is to mainly focus on communication with other students, especially getting feedback from people outside of ASB,” Hall said.

On Feb. 9, 2024, students had the opportunity to vote for their preferred candidates in the election. The voting period spanned from 11:55 a.m. to 4 p.m., with students utilizing an online platform for casting their votes. Foothill Tech’s ASB Instagram page shared a link in their story to the voting platform for student convenience. Additionally, posters displaying QR codes were placed around the campus for easy access to the voting website. Students were only permitted to vote for candidates within their own grade level.

Unlike last year, the election for the general ASB president and vice president was restricted to the ASB class, rather than open to the entire school. This election also occurred on Feb. 9, 2024. The ASB president of the 2024-2025 school year will be Rhea Gill ‘25 and the ASB vice president will be Jaden Abara ‘25.

Later that day, the class election results were verified. The ASB election results are as follows:

Senior Class President: Hailey Hall

Senior Class Vice President: Jack Merritt

Junior Class President: Naomi Schwartz

Junior Class Vice President: Siena Meter

Sophomore Class President: JJ Mendes

Sophomore Class Vice President: Nate Frazier