Foothill Tech makes waves at dual meet

Ian Toreja
On April 12, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) swim team competed in the Villanova dual meet held at the Ventura Aquatic Center. Pictured above, Miller Jones ’26 dives into the water with hopes of taking the lead for the rest of his team.
Fiona Aulenta

Amidst an electric atmosphere at the Ventura Aquatic Center on April 12, emotions soared as the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) swim team clashed with their fierce rivals in a dual meet competition. The Dragons concluded the meet as the girls’ team placed second with a total score of 46 points, and the boys, in second with a score of 29.

The poolside was charged with anticipation as the meet kicked off and the Dragons began their early display of dominance. One of Foothill Tech’s first athletes to hit the water was Samantha Roberts ‘27 who took third in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 2:57:84.

Kylan Jaeger ‘26 commented on the atmosphere and meet as a whole, “This was a smaller meet so it wasn’t too crazy and we got to focus more on our events … the team did good overall and many new simmers got to try new events.”

One of the four girls’ varsity swimmers springs through the water in the 400-yard freestyle relay. The girls’ team placed second overall with a time of 4:13.35. (Ian Toreja)

Shortly after, in the 200-yard IM, Mikaela Clabaugh ‘25 placed second for the Dragons with a time of 2:39.79 and close behind was teammate Lila Rosenthal ‘25 in third at 2:53.88. Foothill Tech’s girls would also seize a fourth place from Sadie Larquist’s ‘26 in the 50-yard freestyle with a finish of 28.91.

Larquist stated, “I individually performed not as well as I wanted, but due to outside factors like my shoulder injury. The energy going into the meet was kind of neutral … yet me and a couple of other teammates still hyped each other up behind the blocks and had fun.”

Following suit was the boys 50-yard freestyle, where Aiden Cummming ‘25 came through with a time of 24.49, placing fourth in the event. Ethan Ortiz ‘24 trailed only a second behind in sixth with a time of 25.28.

Gavin Ingold ’27 drives his way to a 1:34.85 finish in the boys’ varsity 100-yard breaststroke race. (Ian Toreja)

The Dragons relay teams would prove to be a high point of the meet, beginning with the 200-yard freestyle relay. In this event the girls earned second place and the boys took fourth with a time of 1:43.33.

The Dragons competed next in the 400-yard freestyle relay where the boys team walked away in fourth place, and the girls came in second with a finishing time of 4:13.35.

The Dragon’s next meet will be at the Ventura Aquatic Center on April 16, where they will once more face off against their league.