Siblings in Sports: Twins help create Foothill’s athletic legacy

Credit: Abigail Massar / The Foothill Dragon Press

Foothill’s athletic program is undeniably trending upwards in its progression. Already, the program is showing flashes of excellence and it threatens to be a perennial California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) powerhouse in various sports.

It’s extremely difficult to pinpoint the main reason for Foothill’s success, being that there are too many stellar athletes that all deserve recognition for their efforts. However, six individuals distance themselves from the rest. These athletes tend to stand out, not just because they are three groups of identical twins, but because of their contributions to their respective teams.

Nonetheless, there is an apparent bond between the siblings, which can help a team’s communication skills and teamwork tendencies, to name a few benefits. Here are three sets of twins that have created (and continue to create) a substantial impact on Foothill’s athletic legacy.

RAQUEL TADEO ‘17 and ADA TADEO ‘17

Credit: Carrie Coonan / The Foothill Dragon Press

The Tadeos have achieved an impressive feat in their high school careers: being three-sport athletes. Something even more impressive? They have been varsity athletes in each of their three sports: cross-country in the fall, soccer in the winter, and track-and-field in the spring.

Raquel Tadeo enjoys the time with her twin in the various sports because of the camaraderie aspect that they share.

“It’s always super fun having a best friend,” she said. “You always have someone with you, and someone to talk to. And it’s pretty fun to mess around, but also get work done.”
This cross-country season, the Tadeos played a major part in the team’s overall success. Ada Tadeo consistently came through for the Dragons with solid times and great leadership as a senior. She saved her best performance for last when she ran 19:30 at the California State Meet, placing 44th out of 189 participants and contributing to a state championship.

Although Raquel Tadeo did not participate in the magical cross-country CIF run in 2016, she provided depth as a top-end junior varsity runner. At the UCSB Gaucho Invitational, she ran 8:59 on the 1.4 mile course, which was good for second place out of 83 runners. In the 2015 California State Meet, her varsity contributions as a junior played a crucial role in building up Foothill’s post-season experience. Raquel placed 110th out of 192 participants, finishing third among her team with a time of 20:31.

In the winter, the Tadeos took their talents to the soccer field, where the girls’ team endured a somewhat rough season. The Dragons finished the regular season at 4-7 after losing the last three games, unable to clinch a wild-card spot.

Raquel Tadeo noted the strengths and differences that they each have, saying that “Ada is definitely better at soccer than me, and then I’m faster in track and cross country.” However, despite these differences, their work ethic on the field proves to be similar.

“We both put in the same amount of effort and we have the same passion for both sports,” Ada Tadeo said.

This spring, the Tadeos are running their last races as a member of the Dragons’ track-and-field program, as they are set to graduate in June. In the past, they have both fared well on the track; Raquel Tadeo qualified in the 1600 meters for CIF Division IV Prelims in 2016, where she ran 5:32. In that same year, her twin Ada Tadeo qualified for CIF Prelims in the 800 meters and the 4×400 meter relay; she advanced to the CIF Division IV Finals in the 4×400 with teammates Lauren Kearney ‘19, Cameron Becker ‘19, and Emiline Bova ‘19, where they placed sixth with a time of 4:07.73. This season, they are looking to advance further into the CIF spectrum, and possibly even the California State Meet.

A three-sport athlete needs qualities such as dedication and motivation to be successful in their sports. For the Tadeos, they make sure they get their necessary work accomplished so they can reach their full potential.

“We hold each other on check and make sure we get stuff done, even like the little things,” Raquel Tadeo said. “I’d make her do core with me and stuff like that, so it’s good to have someone like a partner to keep you like that.”

ELIZABETH EGBERT ‘18 and ISABELLE EGBERT ‘18

Like the Tadeos, the Egberts are also members of the Foothill Tech cross-country and track-and-field teams. The twins both participate in the three mile courses in cross country, and they have been versatile as far as the track-and-field events go, having run the 400, 800, 1600, and 3200 meters at least once this season. Although there are a variety of events to choose from, the Egberts both have their respective preferences.

“[Elizabeth] likes longer distances, whereas I prefer the shorter distances in track,” Isabelle Egbert explained.

The sisters are no strangers to running, as many would consider them to be veterans. Their running career started in the spring of 2012 with the Ventura Tigres youth track-and-field club. They then took their youth track experience as an advantage into high school running, where they have been a part of the cross-country and track-and-field teams for three consecutives seasons.

Their success has continued this season, where Elizabeth Egbert and Isabelle Egbert continue to post solid times. In the 2017 Meet of Champions, Elizabeth Egbert ran a personal best of 5:33 in the 1600 meters. She also beat her previous best mark for the 3200 meters, running 12:12 in the Ventura County Championships this April.

Isabelle Egbert has made notable improvements herself this season. In March, she broke six minutes for the first time in her career, running a 5:59 in the 1600 meter at the Meet of Champions. Like her sister, she beat her 3200 meter personal record by running 13:07 at the Laguna Beach Distance Carnival.

The twins continue to “cheer for each other” during their races, as they have always done. They consider themselves to be sources of motivation for each other through their competitive nature. According to Isabelle Egbert, the siblings have “always” had a competitive mindset “with everything.”

With one more year of high school running ahead, the Egberts look to continue building off of their previous marks and reach their full potential as athletes.

DYLAN TAMBURRI ‘17 and RYAN TAMBURRI ‘17

Credit: Grace Carey / The Foothill Dragon Press

For the Dragons’ baseball team, the Tamburris are a model of consistency year in and year out. Since the start of the program in 2015, Dylan Tamburri and Ryan Tamburri have continually displayed their versatility on the diamond.

Dylan Tamburri spends the majority of his playing time behind the plate, but he occasionally pitches and plays third base. Ryan Tamburri is solidified as the team’s number two starting pitcher behind ace Dale Starr ‘17, however he fills in at shortstop when needed.

Over their three year careers, the twins have been posting solid numbers all across the board. On the mound, Ryan Tamburri has pitched to a 3.01 ERA(earned run average) and eight wins, including an outstanding 1.81 ERA this season. In limited action, Dylan Tamburri owns a 2.54 ERA in 16 pitching appearances, mostly in relief.

At the plate, Ryan Tamburri has compiled 54 total hits in his career, good for a .276 batting average, along with 35 RBIs (runs batted in) and 45 runs scored. Dylan has recorded 56 hits, earning him a .337 batting average while scoring 40 times and driving in 26 runners. The twins possess adequate base-running skills as well, as 43 bases have been stolen between the two of them.

It may seem like a coincidence that Dylan Tamburri catches all of the games that Ryan Tamburri pitches, but it is in fact an intentional strategic move. Ryan Tamburri explains that “it’s easier to communicate” with his brother because of the extensive amount of time that they have played together. Dylan Tamburri feels similarly and he is confident that their playing style is a force to be reckoned with.

“When I’m on a team with Ryan, we just pick up our signs really easy,” Dylan said. “The role of the pitcher and catcher that we are, we’re like a duo; we can just take down anyone.”

According to the Tamburri brothers, they have always had a competitive approach when competing against each other. They will attempt to continue applying this mindset over the remainder of the regular season, which is quickly approaching. Fortunately, the Dragons have virtually punched their ticket into the CIF playoffs already, compiling a 13-7 overall record, and more importantly, a 6-1 record in league play.

Ryan Tamburri is prepared for the postseason journey that the Dragons may experience, and he knows that his brother has similar feelings.

“We always want to strive to be better than the rest,” Ryan Tamburri said. “[We are] very competitive.”