One-hit wonder Tea Party is on its death bed

The American political movement, the Tea Party, has reached the end of its fame. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Like all one hit wonders and risqué pop stars, the Tea Party, an American political movement advocating for less taxes and smaller government, is quickly reaching the end of its fifteen minutes of fame.

Formed in February 2006, the Tea Party introduced itself to the media as a bipartisan movement who stood for the values of Constitutionally limited government, free markets, and fiscal responsibility. However, as the years progressed, the once-reasonable beliefs of this party of middle class members and blue-collar workers quickly transformed to gain the attention of the mainstream news media.

In 2009, the relatively moderate party sprung to life, releasing its radical views against immigration, gay marriage, and federal taxes. One Tea Party activist by the name of Jerome Corsi, even went so far as to say President Obama had been married to a man, in retaliation to our president’s pro gay marriage views.

Now the question is: why would a moderate movement with reasonable views suddenly radicalize everything it once stood for? The answer is simple: fame. Like an angst-ridden teenager crying for attention, the Tea Party commanded center stage of the 2010-2011 news media, but now as the year 2012 progresses, the polarized “party” is quickly approaching the end of its popularity.

Using God and religion as its main defense, the Tea Party drives away supporters and most American voters. Striving for the insertion of God into government, the Tea Party advocates candidates like Michele Bachman and Rick Perry, who use religion on a constant basis to gain the support of the American voters. It seems hypocritical that a supposedly “patriotic” political movement would want to insert God into the constitution, when the founding fathers made it perfectly clear in the First Amendment of the United States Constitution that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”. 

Though the Tea Party’s views on religion impair their performance in the polls, their radical religious beliefs are not what is going to be the end of them. Their original values of constitutionally limited government, free markets, and tax reduction will fail to succeed in the long run. 

A constitutionally limited government was a perfectly legitimate idea in 2006, when the country was striving for a better handle over deficits and a controlling of the behemoth that is the federal government. However, we are now in the year 2012, the United States has a new president, with new ideals and different tactics. Everything in the equation has changed. Everything except the Tea Party’s now obsolete views. 

As for the ideals of tax reduction, though no one enjoys being taxed, paying these federal taxes are a necessity to keep the government running and completely cutting federal taxes would not be constitutional or wise. Especially with the huge national debt looming over our heads.

As a result of losing touch with mainstream America, their approval ratings have dropped drastically from 38% to a mere 28% in less than a year.

The future of our country may be uncertain, however one thing is for sure: if the Tea Party continues to preach its radical views it risks eradicating itself entirely. They should approach future campaigns with caution because those who burn bright, burn fast.