Girls’ golf comes out on top against Santa Paula in first home match

The girls’ golf team played not only their first match of the season, but their first home match in the history of Foothill on Tuesday. The Dragons played at Buenaventura Golf Course against Santa Paula High School.

Freshman Elizabeth Callahan (right) swings as Coach Janey Dunn (left) coaches. Credit: Carrie Coonan/The Foothill Dragon Press

At the end of the match, both Foothill’s girls’ golf team and Santa Paula’s team gathered around as Coach Janey Dunn announced that the final score was 326-304, giving Foothill the win by 22 points.

Sophomore Kyleigh Zickafoose puts the ball. Credit: Carrie Coonan/The Foothill Dragon Press
Sophomore Kyleigh Zickafoose putts the ball. Credit: Carrie Coonan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Coach Janey Dunn felt that the team did well and was proud of the way they played.

“They played really well. This is our first match and I knew they were going to be a little bit nervous. They did great and I’m very impressed with the way that everybody played,” Dunn said.

Dunn also thought that the team had a good attitude and finished the match in a short amount of time.

“I think they all had a great attitude, and they played fast, which [is] one thing I was asking them to do,” Dunn said.

Freshman Anna Pyron felt that, on a personal level, she performed well in her tee off. In golf, the “tee off” is the first shot you take in a match.

“I think I hit that the best I ever hit,” Pyron said.

Although the team won, Dunn still saw a lot to work on, but the “number one” thing was their putting.

“Most of them are pretty new this year, so I think we have a lot of things we can improve on. Putting would be my number one thing, so we’ll be working on that tomorrow,” Dunn said.

Freshman Paris White felt she could have improved on not getting trapped in obstacles.

“The obstacles, like trees, or sandtraps, or the thick grass. It’s always hard to get out of,” White said.

Junior Olivia Cate felt she played well, but believed her tee off could have been done better.

“I think I [could have] teed off better. I just needed to concentrate more. I think the pressure of it being our first game kind of made me a bit nervous, so I think just focus is key,” Cate said.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/223145892″ params=”color=a40c0c&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

White believed the most exciting part of the match was meeting players of the opposing team who “seemed really nice” and “played really well.”

For Dunn, the most exciting part was the fact that it was their first match.

“Today was our first match, the first match for girls’ golf at Foothill, so I think the most exciting thing was getting out there and getting started,” she said.

Background Photo Credit: Carrie Coonan/The Foothill Dragon Press