Facebook playground: the good, the bad & the ugly

We teenagers use Facebook like our parents used to use the playground: for sharing and learning. While it can be fun to use this seemingly helpful tool, like most things in the digital age it has its fair share of negative impacts as well.

Recently, a girl in Tennessee was robbed at gunpoint for her purse and cell phone. Luckily, she was able to quickly Facebook her friends to call the police and report the crime.

However, it was recently discovered that checking Facebook just once during a 15-minute study period was associated with lower grades. Also, the psychology department of the California State University Dominguez Hills demonstrated that 73% of college students can’t study without some form of technology, and 33% cannot go more than 10 minutes without checking their laptop, phone, or other media device.

On the other hand, The American Psychological Association held their Annual Convention and presented some interesting findings. They suggested that the more time kids spent on Facebook and chatting online, the more they can understand each other and have the ability to relate to each other. It also found that it helped kids learn to express themselves better and it was a great tool for shy kids and teens to socialize from a smart device rather than in person.

I admit that I am one of them.

I enjoy checking to see what’s up with my local friends and out-of-area cousins. I look forward to logging in and seeing photos from their activities or reading the latest on what’s happening in their lives.

Then there are the issues of bullying, inappropriate images, un-friending and all the other drama that goes with having a Facebook page.  

But I digress.

I think Facebook is more about reaching out and showing that you care about your friends. It’s also a way to express who you are through photos and personal information.

Some kids are shy and don’t know how to reach out, but Facebook opens a door for them to communicate.  Too much of anything is never good, but I think when Facebook is used with parental guidance, moderation, and balance, it is more of a good thing than a bad thing.