Track and field dominates at Ventura Distance Carnival and Spartan Relays

Rihanna Samples
On March 8 and March 9, 2024 the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) track and field team participated in the Ventura Distance Carnival and Spartan Relays. From distance races to 100 meter dashes to hurdles, the Dragon competitors gave it their all as they completed against teams from all over the county.

Amongst nearly 30 other teams, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) competed in the Ventura Distance Carnival at Ventura High School’s Larrabee Stadium on March 8, 2024, and in the Spartan Relays at Rio Mesa High School on March 9, 2024.

Foothill Tech’s distance team began on March 8 in the Ventura Distance Carnival. The meet began with the boys’ 800 meter event where Foothill Tech’s Conor White ‘25 took second place (2:01.45) overall and Braeden Elliott ’24 followed in third (2:02.43) overall. As for the girls, Kaylyn Chavez ‘25 came in 13th (2:38.41) overall, and directly after her in 13th (2:38.60) overall, Calista Patterson ‘27.

The Dragons competed next in the 1600 meters where Chance Leandro ‘25 placed ninth overall with a time of 4:28.51. Keera Wallace ‘26 led the girls team as she reached a personal record (PR) (5:34.27) and placed sixth overall amongst nearly 100 other competitors.

Saanvi Joshi

The Dragon’s relay teams began by running the 4×800 meter relay where the boys team of Leandro, Elliott, Eli Billings ‘26 and White took first place overall (8:37.75). The girls team consisted of Wallace, Isabella Efner ‘25, Patterson and Chavez placed fourth overall (11:11.82).

Aanya Deshman ‘27 who competed in the 800 meter and placed 26th overall (2:49.29) stated, “I think our team has actually done pretty good, I know a lot of girls who have medalled and I know everyone will do pretty good knowing how hard our team works.”

The following day, March 9, Foothill Tech competed in the Spartan Relay meet where the team proved their prowess in sprints, throws and field events.

For sprints, both the boys and girls teams found success, specifically in the 400 meter where Cody Bondy ‘24 placed fifth overall (53.42) for the boys and Eva Goncalves ‘25 placed 11th overall with a PR of 1:11.52.

In the 200 meters Ian Clayton ‘25 placed 25th overall (25.18) and Lauren Kaller ‘25 placed 11th overall (27.79). Kaller also placed high in the 100 meters with a PR of 13.29 to take 12th place overall. For the boys 100, Merric Bayless ‘24 ran a 11.47 to place in 7th overall.

The relay teams continued to sweep their competition, with the 4×400 relay consisting of Bayless, Bondy, Dean Coleman ‘24 and Clayton who stayed in the lead throughout the race, but were overtaken in the last 50 meters and placed second overall (3:33.30).

Although the girls did not compete in the 4×400 relay, Taylor Liston ‘24, Cameryn Henuber ‘24, Lyla Huff ‘27 and Kaller ran the 4×100 relay where the team set a PR of 52.34 which earned them seventh place overall.

Hurdles proved to be another event that the Dragons shone in. In the 300 meter race, Nick Macias ‘25 placed 10th overall (45.33) and Bennet Rodman ‘26 led the girls to success as she placed third (52.57).

Field events were kicked off by long jump where Bayless jumped 19-11.50 to take fourth overall, followed by Clayton in 13th overall (18-08.00). The girls fared similarly as Kaller took sixth place overall (15-05.00).

Phillip Blessum ‘25 led the boys high jump, placing eighth overall with a PR of 5-06.00 and followed not long behind by Coleman in 10th overall (5-02.00).

To round out the competition with discus, Bondy threw a PR of 126-07 and placed seventh overall whereas for the girls Stephanie Botello ‘24 took ninth place overall (85-06).

After two days of tough competition, the team left the track with some satisfied with their results, and others, such as Jaime Jamond ‘26, ”Disappointed but I have another one so another opportunity.”

The Dragons’ work continues as they prepare for an upcoming race, the Maurice Green Invitational on March 16, 2024, and hope to continue an upward trend in their performance and generate consistent results as the season progresses.