Girls’ basketball demolishes Cate on Senior Night

Audrey Yoong
To commemorate their seniors, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ basketball secured another league victory against Cate High School (Cate) in their last home game of the season on Jan. 25, 2024. Adding to the win, it was also the team’s Senior Night, where they honored their seniors with speeches, flowers and balloons.
Janae Dixon ‘24 (number 22) shoots the ball over her defender from the three-point line and gives Foothill Tech a bigger lead over Cate. (Audrey Yoong)

On Senior Night for the girls’ basketball team, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) hosted Cate School (Cate) at the Ventura College Athletic Event Center. As this game was the seniors’ last game on their home court, Foothill Tech made sure to go out with a bang. In celebration of seniors Petra Falcocchia ‘24, Alexa Taylor ‘24, Janae Dixon ‘24, Olivia Mowad ‘24 and Nisha Reddy ‘24, flowers and gifts were given as families gathered around and heard heartfelt speeches from teammates. Foothill Tech carried the spirit of senior night with them as they demolished their competition ending with a score of 52-14.

Coach Chuck Ferris spoke on his expectations of the game’s result, “We felt strongly that we could get this win.”

Foothill Tech’s performance in the first quarter reflected this statement. Though Cate made the first points of the game with a lay-up, it proved to be one of few. Falcocchia started off the Dragon’s scoreboard with a lay-up. This was quickly followed by another layup from Taylor to bring the score to 4-2.

Along with a capable offense, Foothill Tech was able to lock Cate up on defense as well. The tight play resulted in turnovers due to the shock clock or a steal from the Dragons.

After getting the defensive rebound, Olivia Mowad ‘24 (number 32) dribbles the ball up the court and towards the basket looking to start an offensive play. (Audrey Yoong)

After a successful free throw from a foul on Falcocchia, a strategic pass from Mowad allowed Falcocchia to make another lay-up which further increased the Dragon’s lead of 7-2.

Mowad kept up the momentum with a successful mid-range jumper. This was followed by a strong defensive block by Falcocchia. With the ball in Foothill Tech’s possession Dixon scored a lay-up to end the quarter with a score of 11-2.

The second quarter started strong for the Dragons as Kiara Zavala ‘26 made a quick lay-up followed by a foul and two successful free throws. Lauren Kaller ‘25 followed this with a layup to bring the Foothill Tech’s lead to 17-2.

After another set of successful free throws from Zavala, Cate drove into the paint to score a lay-up. Falcocchia responded with a lay-up as well as two successful free throws that followed a foul. As the clock clicked down to the end of the half,Reddy made a fast break down the court to make a lay-up to finish the half with a 20 point lead of 25-5.

Cate started off the third quarter with a three pointer. Shots from behind the arc were on for the Dragons this quarter as Dixon and Reddy both scored successive three pointers. The quarter ended with a lay-up from Kaller to bring the score to 36-8.

The final quarter started with Cate scoring a lay-up followed by a successful free throw. After a free throw from Zavala, Vivian Ryan ‘25 pulled up to the arc and sent the ball into the basket to score a three pointer. Cate responded in a similar manner as they scored a three to bring the score to 40-14.

Zavala proceeded to score another three pointer, as well a lay-up off of a steal. Foothill Tech continued to drive their score up as Reddy drained a three and Mowad made a mid-range shot. Falcocchia made the final lay-up of the game to end with a score of 52-14.

Coach Ferris spoke on the team’s performance, “They did really well … They were communicating well and the offense was pretty smooth.”

As this night was a celebration of the seniors, Falcochia reflected on the nearing end of her time as a Dragon, “It’s bittersweet for me … I’ve been doing this for all four years, but I’m glad we won.”

Ferris also spoke on how the team will change with the loss of the seniors, “It’s going to be a different brand of basketball that we have to play next year … probably one with a faster pace.”