Girls’ basketball shows unwavering determination despite tough loss to St. Bonaventure

Audrey Yoong
On Jan. 18, 2024, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ basketball faced a difficult loss against St. Bonaventure (St. Bonnie) in a league game with a score of 34-43. Kiara Zavala ‘26 (number 5) drives the ball toward the basket trying to go for a layup.
Petra Falcocchia ‘24 (number 23) jumps high in the air stopping St. Bonnie from getting a rebound and scoring more points. (Audrey Yoong)

On the warm night of Jan. 18, 2024, tensions ran high as the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ basketball team faced off against rivaling team St. Bonaventure High School (Bonnie). Fans from both teams poured into the stands of Bonnie’s gymnasium for a heated battle between the two schools. Despite having left it all on the court, the game would end in a devastating loss for Foothill Tech 43-34.

The opening quarter started hot, with both teams trading points in a fight to take an early lead. Foothill Tech shined early on with several impressive shots fired off from inside the paint as they asserted their dominance over the opposing team. Bonnie took advantage of lapses in Foothill Tech’s defense as they were able to make up some ground and ended off the first quarter with Foothill Tech leading, 12-8.

The energy from the first quarter would continue through as the Dragons started with the ball in the second quarter, but Bonnie was quick to strike as Foothill Tech had the ball stolen, which allowed for a fast break and for Bonnie to break away in the lead.

Petra Falcocchia ’24 had a strong performance in the first half as she kept the lead for the Dragons after sinking several baskets from the three-point line.

Falcocchia would later comment on the team’s performance in the first half, having stated, “I think we played really good as a team, we did get rushed and we kinda played at their level.”

Nisha Reddy ‘24 (number 33) leaps up and throws the ball over St. Bonnie’s defense. Her teammates are ready to get the rebound if necessary. (Audrey Yoong)

Foothill Tech’s lead stayed at a safe distance from the opposing team, with Kiara Zavala ‘26 getting off an attempt at a layup. Her drive into the paint took her to the line for free throws, where she made one of two shots.

Just as the quarter began to draw to a conclusion, Bonnie fought hard and got off three shots in a row, concluding the first half with a score of 18-16.

However, Foothill Tech’s lead was not long-lasting, as Bonnie re-entered their home court energized with the roaring crowd behind them. Foothill Tech started with the ball in the third quarter, but it was quickly turned over which gave Bonnie possession of the ball and an easy bucket.

Bonnie would soon after dish out two more back-to-back layups over the Dragon’s defense, seizing the lead from Foothill Tech, 21-18. In response, Alexa Taylor ’24 started a quick counterattack as she put up a layup and shrunk the newly formed gap.

The Seraphs captured a three pointer within the closing seconds of the shot clock, but Nisha Reddy ‘24 would shortly after retaliate with a shot of her own to bring the score to 24-23, Bonnie still in the lead.

Alexa Taylor ‘24 (number 11) shoots two free throws after drawing a foul from the paint. Throughout the night, Taylor had multiple points from the inside and remained unaffected by St. Bonnie’s strong defense. (Audrey Yoong)

After a long fight for the ball and shots fired off from both sides of the court, the third quarter came to a close with Bonnie in the lead, 33-28.

Bonnie opened up the fourth quarter, burying a three pointer which was then returned by Falcocchia as she was fouled and subsequently put away one of two free throws.

Zavala also had a strong final quarter with several layups gliding to the basket. However, it wouldn’t be enough as Bonnie would close out the final quarter with a barrage of shots in the closing minutes, securing their victory with a final score of 43-34.

Coach Chuck Ferris reflected on the dedication of the athletes as well as their performance during the game, “I think they played with a lot of heart, we just weren’t technically on our game.”

The Dragons next game will be on Jan. 25, 2024, against Cate School (Cate) where the Dragons are hopeful for another win in light of their Senior Night celebration.