Athlete of the week: Maddie Wicks

Dane Dodos
Maddie Wicks ’26 has been playing soccer since she was five and has continued to persist and work hard in the sport she loves. After only having been with the Dragons soccer program for two years she has helped shape it into the unique community it is today.

With the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ soccer team winding up their season, one player continues to stand out with her hard work and dedication on and off the field. Maddie Wicks ‘26 has proven herself to be a dominant force on the field, with close to a decade of experience under her belt, she is a true threat when faced by any opposing team.

Throughout Wicks’ experience with the sport, from her time with the American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) to her place on the team with the Dragons, she has made tremendous strides in her ability to lead as well as play. Wicks touched briefly on why she has continued to persist and stay with the sport, stating, “I really liked the competitiveness of club and I really loved my teammates.”

Wicks has played on the varsity team since her freshman year. Though her time with the soccer program at Foothill Tech has been short, she has already had a great impact on the team environment, having helped to foster a strong bond between fellow players and strengthening the tight knit community the soccer team has become, “Here at Foothill we’re really supportive of each other and we’re always cheering each other on and I love that about our program.”

Wicks’ relentless spirit in the face of adversity has shined through during some struggles of past seasons, as her long participation with the sport has allowed her to apply what she’s learned through soccer to her life. Wicks reflected on some life lessons she’s learned throughout the program, “I’ve learned to never give up even when life is hard, and to keep battling and never stop trying.”

With several seasons still remaining in her career at Foothill Tech, Wicks shows no signs of slowing down, her positive attitude is a beacon of light for her teammates as they continue to grow as a team and fight hard towards constant victories

Wicks highlighted some of what made her fall in love with the sport of soccer and what she hopes to continue to do throughout the remainder of her time at Foothill Tech, “I love the adrenaline rush I get when I go on the field … and always being around my teammates, I just want to continue to improve and work on how I play as the season progresses.”

Wicks is a huge advocate for the sport and encourages anyone interested to join in the thrill of the game. She also provides some advice for newer athletes on staying strong through adversity, “If you love the sport keep playing, because even at the worst times, it’s always fun.”