Boys’ volleyball sweeps Cate School in first league game

Luigirey Guce

After getting an amazing set from his teammate, James Sokoloski ’24 (number 2) elevates and proceeds to spike the ball in hopes of getting it past the hands of a defender. Sokoloski ’24 finished with nine kills and was recognized as the second leading scorer in this league match against Cate School.

Theo Kayser, Reporter

On Feb. 23, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) boys’ volleyball team captured their first league win of the season with a sweep against Cate School (Cate) at Cabrillo Middle School. 

Foothill Tech took an early lead in the first set after a Sean Scampone ‘23 spike made the score 4-3. Both teams kept the game tight however, as after an exorbitantly long volley, Cate tied the score 11-11. Foothill Tech eventually pulled away though, and after a trio of kills by Scampone, the Dragons won the opening set 25-15.

The second set proved to be a tighter affair. Foothill Tech had the lead early after a Tyler Jorden ‘23 block brought the score to 9-6. Cate came back with defense at the net of their own, and after a block the score was again knotted at 18-18. Foothill Tech once more dominated the final stretch, and following a pair of spikes by James Sokoloski ‘24, the Dragons claimed the set 25-20. 

Reflecting on the nature of the match, Scampone noted, “we started off really strong, then they caught up to us in the second and third [sets] … but we played through it.” 

And play through it the Dragons did. Still, looking to avoid the sweep, Cate began the third set with a vengeance, as they led 5-3 after another blocked spike. The two squads battled throughout the remainder of the match with the score remaining close. 

Foothill Tech eventually regained the lead 18-17 after a Sam Noah ‘23 block, and held it for the remainder of the set. The match was concluded with yet another set of two consecutive kills by Sokoloski, the final score being 25-22. 

Coach Marc Denitz said that he felt overall, his team played “really well against a good team” and that this match was, “the best we’ve played all year.”

Now sitting at 2-0, the Dragons will look to continue their winning ways when they travel to rematch Carpinteria High School on Feb 27, and then head to Bishop Diego High School Feb. 28.