Hogwarts Legacy: An interactive return to the Wizarding World

Alivia Baker

Hogwarts Legacy is an interactive spectacle for users with its rich and detailed graphics. Learn more from writer Paula Gonzalez in this in depth review of the game.

Paula Gonzalez, Writer

Hogwarts Legacy Youtube

Beloved fans of the Harry Potter franchise may excitedly return to the Wizarding World starting Feb. 10, 2023, with the anticipated release of Hogwarts Legacy on the PC, Playstation 5 (PS5) and Xbox Series X❘S. Developed by Avalanche Software and published by Warner Bros. Games, Hogwarts Legacy is an immersive action role-playing game based on the Harry Potter series. Set in the 19th century, one plays as a student at the prestigious Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, who holds the key to an ancient secret that threatens the wizarding world. Before its official release, early access to the deluxe edition was open for 72-hrs for the aforementioned consoles on Feb. 7, 2023. Pre-order was available, with prices ranging from $59.99 to $79.99, depending on the console and edition preference. 

Hogwarts Legacy is all about choosing your own destiny, beginning with the customization of the Witch or Wizard one wants to be. Players are sorted into their preferred house in the beginning of the game, with extensive freedom to grow their character’s abilities through several practices, such as performing spells, brewing potions, harvesting magical plants and choosing special quests to hone abilities. Players can link their Harry Potter Fan Club’s Sorting Experience and their WandCeremony accounts to the game. Doing so will unlock a Beaked Skull Mask and exclusive House Fan-Atic Robes (a special set of house themed robes), while also further customizing one’s true self into the game. 

As seen in the beloved “Harry Potter” films, players of Hogwarts Legacy are sorted into one of the four main houses. (crast.net)

As seen in the announcement trailers, Hogwarts Legacy is promising to be heavily expansive in exploration, with set objectives for various new and familiar locations. Not only will the entire Hogwarts Castle be rendered for accessibility, so will the Forbidden Forest and the charming Hogsmeade Village. Puzzles will be scattered throughout the castle, along with open dungeons and hidden passages. The legendary Room of Requirement is an important quarter that may need to be frequently visited, as so far, the room is known to help expand and change characters’ abilities. It seems expected that the game will adapt the portkey and the Floo Network for methods of travel, but currently broom flight and beast riding are confirmed to be some of the methods available. 

Hogwarts Legacy is filled with various interactive scenes, the one here showcasing students around an animated pot in a potion brewing class (a class players can try for themselves). (screenrant.com)

In terms of schooling, players are expected to attend classes to further implement their character’ skills. Potions, Charms, Herbology and Defence Against the Dark Arts are just some of the classes offered. Through them, players can build relationships with their professors and classmates, offering new pieces of lore. As bonds strengthen, friendly companions are able to accompany players through missions. Tread carefully, however—it is the Wizarding World, after all. Creatures influenced by magical forces, cunning wizards and witches and even a looming goblin rebellion are dangers that await. 

Players have access to upgrade sets, besides those gained by attending class or practicing spells. Completing challenges throughout the world rewards with experience points that are useful for leveling up. By upgrading magical gear, one increases their offensive and defensive abilities in a specific playstyle. Players can enhance their experience and develop their own unique combat style by mixing and matching several spells.

With an expansive world, Hogwarts Legacy manages to incorporate stunning visuals and environments. This mesmerizing spectacle is the famous common room for the Gryffindor house. (reddit.com)

Those playing on the PS5 or PlayStation 4 (PS4) will get exclusive access to having their very own shop in Hogsmeade Village, where one is able to sell items for better rates than anywhere else within the game. This feature is available by completion of the Haunted Hogsmeade Shop Quest, a mystery-adventure quest involving Madam Mason, the Hogsmeade shopkeeper. 

Attempting to stick solely to the main campaign will take a minimum of 30 hours to complete. Certain quests in the campaign have a level requirement, forcing one to traverse through different parts of the game to gain skills and experience. The max level achievable is level 40, which unlocks the ‘A Forte for Achievement’ badge. Having a level cap, however, also means that there is a limit to unlockable talent points. Careful spending of talent points should be considered to maximize one’s potential before reaching the cap. Players will have to choose for themselves which area or two they would like to focus on based on their preferred playstyle.